Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pressure cooker cookbooks

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 785 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I have finally ordered a pressure cooker and would like to get some recommendations for a couple of recipe books. Does anyone have any suggestions for which ones to get? Thanks!

#2 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've tried a number of recipes from a number of places and the ones I like the most came from the Modernist Cuisine at Home cookbook.

They really show the versatility of this piece of equipment.

#3 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Yes, I have Modernist Cuisine at Home but I am hoping to get another cookbook for pressure cookers.

#4 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Elsie,
I have several. Lorna Sass' books are excellent, everyone seems to like them.
I also like the 'Miss Vickie PC Cookbook' a lot because it is so extensive.
I think my actual favorite is The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Daily, I've found I use this one the most for actual recipes.
The others I use more for technique.

#5 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

The original Modernist Cuisine books have even more than the at Home version.

#6 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Yes I've got the pressure cooker bug too recently. Excellent for blasting pigs cheeks in half an hour, making congee in even less. Don't know how I lived without it. Really want to try octopus in it soon.

Actually the original Modernist Cuisine set doesn't have much on pressure cookers. It recommends them for making stocks, but while it admits they have their uses cooking tough meats the preferred method is sous vide, hence much more on that. There is a table in there of recommended pressure cooker times for meats but I can never find it as the PC stuff is poorly index. The Modernist Cuisine @Home book seems to use pressure cookers much more, presumably because its a more accessible piece of kit.

re: books here are two recent ones I've had my eye on:

The Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Catherine Phipps
80 Recipes for your Pressure Cooker by Richard Ehrlich

Happy blasting!

J
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#7 EnriqueB

EnriqueB
  • participating member
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

I hope our favorite pressure-cooker blog author Laura from hippressurecooking (pazzaglia here on eGullet) will soon come with her own book...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook