Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking Temperatures of Slow Cookers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I've been thinking about buying a slow cooker. However, I was wondering what approximate temperatures these slow cookers cook at. Perhaps instead of buying a slow cooker, I can use a Le Creuset or Staub in a slow oven and get a similar result. Any thoughts on this idea?

Edited by Shel_B, 25 November 2012 - 01:19 PM.

.... Shel

#2 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I believe one can cook as low as 177F and up to boiling. However, my habit has been to use a slow oven or very low flame. Regardless, there is something to be said considering the efficiency of an electric slow-cooker such as a crock-pot. One isn't heating an entire oven to transmit the heat into a covered pot or dish. A burner faces similar issues.

Also, a crock-pot is convenient for holding food at serving temps and serving for parties and such without tying up the stove or oven.

#3 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

it can do a lot of interesting things more energy efficient than a stove or a stove top.

but ... understand how to use it and if it fits your cooking style first.

maybe find this book at your library first:

http://www.amazon.co...ow cooker books

good luck!~

#4 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Slow cookers are inexpensive, and to make them even cheaper, they're often found at thrift stores.

#5 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

They're nice for east meals - most slow cooker recipes in existence generally consist of throwing all ingredients in the cooker and not much more. As mentioned before, they are great at keeping food warm for serving, and they're usually very low cost.

With that said, I haven't touched mine since getting a water bath a few years ago. I find that slow cookers don't offer much precision if you want to elevate your braised foods to the next level.

Edited by Baselerd, 26 November 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#6 pkeibel

pkeibel
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

My crock pot (~20 years old) has two settings, the Hight cooks at 177F and the Low cooks at 135F. I checked because of my desire to use it for cheese making

#7 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I love slow cookers! I usually put the ingredients into the crock the night before and put it in the fridge. In the morning I take the crock out of the fridge and place it into the outer shell and plug it in, turn it on low, and leave the house.

I come home to smells that are wonderful and sit down to eat almost immediately. It is one of the most convenient ways to cook and it takes such little prep time. I scored one from a thrift store and see them there all the time! Why someone would get rid of one is beyond me, but I will happily score a deal.

#8 Crouton

Crouton
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

They're nice for east meals - most slow cooker recipes in existence generally consist of throwing all ingredients in the cooker and not much more. As mentioned before, they are great at keeping food warm for serving, and they're usually very low cost.

With that said, I haven't touched mine since getting a water bath a few years ago. I find that slow cookers don't offer much precision if you want to elevate your braised foods to the next level.

I think it's safe to assume a slow cooker is used for convenience, not precision. If I'm using a slow cooker it's because I would like to come home from work and have dinner ready with minimal effort. Dragging out my vacuum sealer and Putting food in little baggies just seems counter productive.

#9 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

I purchased a Cusinart PCS-350 to use for smaller slow cooker recipes. It's cooking temps are:

HIgh 212°F
Low 200°
Simmer 185°
Warn 165°

#10 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I purchased a Cusinart PCS-350 to use for smaller slow cooker recipes. It's cooking temps are:

HIgh 212°F
Low 200°
Simmer 185°
Warn 165°

Thanks!

.... Shel