Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Discussion of commercial chefs' use of eggs...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jburnie

jburnie
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi all,

This is a discussion for commercial chefs.

- I'm wondering who uses pasteurized eggs in their kitchens?

- Why are they used instead of shelled eggs and what are they used in?

- What is the general cost for one litre of pasteurized eggs and how do you think it compares to shelled eggs?

- How much pasteurized egg product do you generally use in a week?

Cheers,

Edited by Chris Hennes, 08 June 2014 - 10:07 AM.
Name removed at member's request

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

You can buy pasteurized shell eggs.

I've worked places where we make a lot of macaron, so, we used cartons of whites. I do not recall the cost, but, we priced accordingly. And, we had no need for yolks. Maybe a half gallon a day, it varied.

#3 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I use pasteurized whole egg, yolk (with 10% sugar added) and whites.
Why?
Practicality
-Uses up less space than shell eggs, and no damage
-Product is frozen and can be stored up to 6 mths
-much less chance of salmonella than with shell eggs (this does not go un-noticed by "ye olde health inspector"
-No eggshells or yolk mixed in with whites
-No "overflow" bins of eggwhites in the fridge.

Cost is a bit cheaper than shell eggs

I should mention that all of my recipies are in weight and metric. It is very easy and quick to weigh out liquid eggs.

I use the eggs, yolk, and whites for everything--creams, sauces, doughs, custards, cakes, fillings, Italian nougat, everything.

I do know that some hotel chains (Hyatt comes to mind) do not have shell eggs in their kitchens, other than for breakfast cooking.

#4 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I keep a few quarts of pasteurized liquid yolks around (Papetti's, no sugar added as far as I know), which I mostly use for ice cream and creme brulee bases. When I used whole eggs for ice cream, I had far more whites left over than I could ever use in macaron, meringue, etc. Now if I need extra whites I can always separate some. The liquid yolks are a nice convenience and time-saver.