Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Pasta thickness

Italian

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pacman1978

pacman1978
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

So I am sat here watching Masterchef professionals and they complained about how someones pasta is too thick. How can you make pasta too thick? Given you just keep turning the dial to make it thinner and thinner till the lowest setting how is this possible and especially for a professional? I'm more interested because I might be missing a trick to make my pasta thinner!

Thanks,

Paul

#2 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Perhaps the cook didn't dial it down as far as possible. Sometimes I'll stop on the 2 or3 (1=thinnest) because of wanting a thicker noodle.

It's a preference thing IMO.

#3 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I almost never actually take my pasta all the way to the thinnest setting, so there is certainly no rule that says you have to: presumably it was just a preference for thinner pasta on the part of the taster.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#4 ChrisZ

ChrisZ
  • participating member
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Filled pasta can definitely be too thick. I like making ravioli etc but I learned quickly that I need to have the dough thinner than I think, because it swells up when cooked. The filling can easily be lost if the outer pasta wrapper is too thick or chewy. I'm a big fan of filled pasta but I'm disappointed if I can't taste the filling.
But I have no problem with thick, plain pasta. I especially like lasagne where the noodles have a texture and flavour that's a significant part of the dish, and not just the white bit between oceans of sauce.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian