Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Serious Ramen Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Anyone know of any serious ramen cookbooks in English?
Given the growth here in the US of real ramen, i'm surprised no one has taken the chance to write a real cookbook on the subject.

Anyone feel like translating books from Japanese ?:)

#2 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm interested in this also! ... very interested :D

#3 Florida

Florida
  • participating member
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

While not a Ramen-exclusive cookbook, there is a section about Ramen making in Takashi's Noodles.
There is pretty damn good recipe for tonkotsu ramen broth on Serious Eats.

#4 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

While not a Ramen-exclusive cookbook, there is a section about Ramen making in Takashi's Noodles.
There is pretty damn good recipe for tonkotsu ramen broth on Serious Eats.

I have Takashi's noodles, i'll have to re-read it, i don't remember being enamored by it at first pass. The serious eats column is awesome, i agree.

#5 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

And of course, there's always issue 1 of Lucky Peach.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#6 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

And of course, there's always issue 1 of Lucky Peach.

I made the ramen out of that issue. The fact that i still have 3 servings in my freezer should speak for itself.

#7 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

The Momofuku cookbook has a section on Ramen, including several broths, meats, noodles, and other condiments. I've never cooked any of them, but it looks pretty good.

#8 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

The Momofuku cookbook has a section on Ramen, including several broths, meats, noodles, and other condiments. I've never cooked any of them, but it looks pretty good.

i might have to re-explore it, but i'm pretty sure it's very similar to the one in LP.

#9 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

So are you looking for the sort of cookbook that would offer various recipes for ramen noodles, so you can try out different ones until you find one you're happy with? I would think you could tweak the LP one until you get it where you want it, then draw on those recipes for the broths, kaeshi and garnishes. Unless you're looking for something with exhaustive detail on regional variations in all the components, which I agree would be a fascinating read.

I mean, what would a "real" cookbook on ramen look like to you? That sounds to me like asking for a "real" cookbook on risotto.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#10 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

i'm looking for something that has regional variation, chapters on tsukemen, chapters on "new" varieties like curry ramen, chapters on different base broths. I guess i'm not REALLY sure what i want...all i know is that i'd like to recreate the ramen i had in Japan, tonkotsu, shoyu, tsukemen, shio etc.
The 2 days i spent making the momofuku broth left me wondering what i am missing or what that recipe is missing. I don't know enough to know what "secret" things, or steps, i'm missing.

#11 Doodad

Doodad
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

I know we tried making the ramen out of Momofuku and failed in the most spectacular fashion. :blush:

#12 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I know we tried making the ramen out of Momofuku and failed in the most spectacular fashion. :blush:

How so?
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#13 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I just received momofuku in the mail and read the ramen noodle recipe. My experience with making tight pasta dough with coarse semolina leads me to believe an overnight rest is needed. Then the dough will be smooth and elastic despite being crumbly the day before.

#14 Renn

Renn
  • participating member
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Haven't seen anything published in English...maybe someone would be kind enough to translate "The Ra-men Book for Professional I & II" one day...

#15 Doodad

Doodad
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

How so?

Inedible, unmalleable wall paper paste.

#16 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I made the noodles from Lucky Peach and they were good. The broth was just uninspiring.