Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Jacques Pépin Steamed and Roasted Turkey in New York Times

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mache

mache
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yesterday's New York Times article in the Dining & Wine section has a Jacques Pépin recipe for Steamed and Roasted Turkey that I am considering for Thanksgiving. The article states that steaming the turkey first makes for a very moist final product and allows one to skip brining.

Instead of roasting it in the oven, I plan on using my smoker with cherry and apple woods. My smoker has very accurate temperature control. Has anyone tried this approach? Any general comments as to its potential for success or failure?

-- Mache

#2 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yesterday's New York Times article in the Dining & Wine section has a Jacques Pépin recipe for Steamed and Roasted Turkey that I am considering for Thanksgiving. The article states that steaming the turkey first makes for a very moist final product and allows one to skip brining.

Instead of roasting it in the oven, I plan on using my smoker with cherry and apple woods. My smoker has very accurate temperature control. Has anyone tried this approach? Any general comments as to its potential for success or failure?

-- Mache

I have smoke lots of turkeys. It will be great

#3 mache

mache
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have smoke lots of turkeys. It will be great

I have as well. I was interested more in the fact that he was substituting steaming for brining.

-- Mache

#4 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

-- Mache

I am totally anti-brining, but this sounds interesting

#5 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Interesting. That steam time is not very long. We discussed poaching and roasting here, but that was more cooking via poaching and finishing via roasting.

#6 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

As a special treat, sauté the liver in a little butter, add salt and pepper and snack on it with a cold glass of white wine.

Probably the highlight of the meal.