Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How long can you reuse duck fat (if you can at all)?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

I have slowly cooked some pork belly submerged in duck fat. Was planning to strain it and reuse for similar cooking. How many times can I do this before I have to throw away the duck fat? What are the spoilage signs to watch for? Any other advice?

Much appreciated,
Bojana

#2 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Several times. It will take on flavors of what you cook in it, but that is not necessarily bad. If you keep it in the freezer between uses, it should last a very long time.

#3 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

After last Christmas I was given a jar of goose fat from Dear Marlene in Munich, redolent with herbs it improved every roaster I anointed . Monday lunch 10th of November the last was used, it was sweet and clean so that is almost a year and it was kept in my home fridge.
Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#4 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I used mine about four times and all was fine!!
I fried frites ( twice ) well that was four times , whole chicken ( once ) and chicken fried steak ( last ). I used a bit of new with it, also.

Edited by Paul Bacino, 13 November 2012 - 12:47 PM.

Its good to have Morels

#5 Stephen Bosse

Stephen Bosse
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I bought a large 8# tub of duck fat from Polarica in San Francisco probably 4 years ago. I store the large tub in the freezer, but have used the fat to make confit on several occasions. I usually strain the fat and store it in mason jars in the fridge. I've never had any issue with it going rancid and I've used essentially the same fat about 10 times now. It also hasn't picked up much salt, which is good. Potatoes in duck fat are better than potatoes without duck fat.