Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ganache with 85%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

Does anyone make ganache (for icing cakes) with 85% chocolate? I picked up two bars yesterday, one 85% and the other 70%, and there was a huge difference in taste between the two. The 85% definitely had a deeper, more complex flavor, but it was obviously quite bitter.

I'm on the fence about whether to use it straight and add a small amount of sugar, or to use a combo of the 70 and 85.

Thanks for your help!

#2 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

I use a blend of 75% and 95% which evens out to 85% overall in my icing ganaches... I add no sugar whatsoever, apart from a teensy bit of corn syrup (15 mL) to help with the emulsion. I'd play around a bit - maybe try making ganaches (small batches) with just the 85% and just the 75%, comparing the flavours, and then try blending after that.

The bigger key is to use a small amount of butter to improve the final texture - there isn't a whole lot of fat in the high-solids chocolates, and adding just a hint of butter goes a very long way. If you like, my formula is in the recent Ganache thread.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#3 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

It definitely helps to know what the split is in formulating a product.

#4 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thank you both so much for your help!