Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Callebaut "chips"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ElainaA

ElainaA
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Although I have made chocolates for years as holiday gifts, this is the first year that I have purchased Callebaut callets rather than a 5 kg block. On various web sites I have seen various labels: Callebaut "chips", Callebaut callets, Callebaut baking callets (or "chips") and Callebaut "chips/callets. Chips is always in quotation marks.

Are these all the same thing? On Callebaut's own site I see no mention of chocolate chips. The milk chocolate callets I purchased look like smooth discs. The bittersweet callets (that is what they are labelled) are smaller and do look more like flattened chips. I want to use this for both molded and dipped chocolates. So, I guess my second question is, will this chocolate work for my intended purpose?

This seems the obvious place to turn for advice...............
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

#2 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Do you know the percentage? I get what my supplier re-packs as "Callebaut semi-sweet pistoles" which I think are 54%. They look like and work great as chocolate chips for cookies, but I don't think I have ever used them for molding. If you get them in their original packaging, it should show the range of fluidity in droplets, I believe 3 or 4 is best for molding and dipping.

#3 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, they have a range of products designed for different uses. You need either the exact name or the number of drops to know for certain.

#4 ElainaA

ElainaA
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. What I have is 56.8% - labelled as Belgian bittersweet callets. The Gygi website says they are Callebaut 815NV which is 3 drops on the Callebaut site. What unsettled me was their appearance - much more chocolate chip-esque than I expected. So I opened the bag and melted a handful of the little suckers - they melted beautifully. So I believe that I have my couverture for holiday candy making - and a plate of mendiants for immediate consumption. I am especially relieved because the price and service at Gygi were both very good so I really wanted everything to be as advertised so I can buy there again.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

#5 belreal

belreal
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I do have to make chocolate mousse for about 100 poeple. Before my wife departed last month, she used I think Nestle chips. But I noticed there were 3 varieties: milk, semi-sweet and dark. What do you recommend? We usually included a bit of orange peel in the receipe.
If I go Callebaut ( or another you might recommend) what percentage? Where can I get it on Long Island, NY.
Thank you!

#6 belreal

belreal
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I had to remember these good times...

Attached Images

• 100_0194cr.JPG

Edited by belreal, 16 November 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#7 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. What I have is 56.8% - labelled as Belgian bittersweet callets. The Gygi website says they are Callebaut 815NV which is 3 drops on the Callebaut site. What unsettled me was their appearance - much more chocolate chip-esque than I expected. So I opened the bag and melted a handful of the little suckers - they melted beautifully. So I believe that I have my couverture for holiday candy making - and a plate of mendiants for immediate consumption. I am especially relieved because the price and service at Gygi were both very good so I really wanted everything to be as advertised so I can buy there again.

I just received 22 pounds of 815nv from Gygi, and was terrified that I'd recieved something unsuitable. Thank goodness!

#8 xxchef

xxchef
  • participating member
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I use Callebaut Callets all the time for our chocolate work. Started using them "temporarily" in place of the blocks about 8 years ago after an injury made chopping difficult and have never looked back. I make chocolates (no molding but lots of dipping) seasonally and go through about 1800 lbs of Callets in 3 months October - the end of the year.
The Big Cheese
BlackMesaRanch.com
My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"
BMR on FaceBook
"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

That's a lot of chocolate to chop - glad you found the callets! I used to chop too when I used the Callebaut - cause the formulations I liked were only available in blocks.