Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Has it gone quiet on here

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 PhilD

PhilD
  • participating member
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

It is disappointing that activity is slowing, the standard of discussion here, and knowledge of the members is far better than many other places. There are clearly lots of reasons for the decline, I suspect it is mainly because the number of sources of information has grown so much. In the good old days I would read a few reviews in newspapers and that was it. Then came boards, blogs, on-line food sites like the guardians WOM and Time Out, and of course twitter.

I now find I skim a lot of sources and that i think is the issue - the lack of time to digest and respond. Or maybe it is a cultural shift, we no longer appreciate the depth and quality of the debate instead we want a broader, yet shallower, coverage. Is it not the same in music? Once we had albums now I sample from iTunes, or skip around the Radio 6 programs on iPlayer - browsing and sampling rather than truly listening.

#32 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Personally I will prefer forums to blogs. I like the exchange of views and differing opinions. I know some bloggers will delete any comments made that don't match their own points of view.

We have a favourite restaurant and have eat there about four times a year. Once we had a meal that was not up to standard - I later found out the owner/chef was away on a personal emergency. Now what if I was a blogger and decided to give this experience a bad review and publish it into the domain.

Anyone can be a blogger - not many have the intelligence to understand not only the complexities of fine dining (me included) and also the ratifications of what a bad review can have. I did find a blog from a couple of ladies from Surrey who wont give a bad public review. How refreshing.

Totally off topic - did anyone listen to BBC2 Graham Norton on Saturday morning? He had a listener with boring Foodie friends Had us in hysterics.

Link is here http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00tw2b9

Jump to 51 minutes and 1 hr 22 if you don't want to hear the whole show.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker