Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Top Chef: Seattle

• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

#361 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I went into the finale with a pre-conceived notion that I wasn't going to like the format. But I often surprise myself and I actually liked the format of the Chefs cooking in a more challenging situation than previous finales when the Chefs knew ahead of time that they'd be cooking a full menu in their culinary style. I sort of see it as the challenge of working in a kitchen preparing tasting menus on the fly. And Kristen really redeemed her poor leadership skills in restaurant wars by coming back and strongly yet confidently leading her team.

#362 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I wasn't overly impressed by the gushing at the table of former Top Chef winners and I'd agree that some displayed larger egos than others. I could care less if you cook for the King of Siam. Resumes don't impress me as much as tasting your food. Yet I was pleased that Padma did mini bios of the winners and we could see their success and the inspiration that Top Chef has given young Chefs coming up through the ranks.

I think Kristen's final dish appeared to have more focus and purity of flavor than Brooke's. And I would probably agree with Gail on the cut of the leeks in Kristen's dish--if they are cut too long they get stringy.

As we progressed through the season I kept thinking Brooke was heading to a direction that could prove her undoing. Dishes that are overly descriptive on a written menu but entice the diner. Yet when you taste the elements on the plate they compete with one another and are over-worked. Pomegranate seeds are the popular garnish of the day, let's pair pork cheef with red snapper, how about a sorrel sauce, on and on and on. Not having tasted either Chefs food, my constructive criticism for both is to work on the details and putting more focus on each element of a dish.

#363 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I went into the finale with a pre-conceived notion that I wasn't going to like the format. But I often surprise myself and I actually liked the format of the Chefs cooking in a more challenging situation than previous finales when the Chefs knew ahead of time that they'd be cooking a full menu in their culinary style. I sort of see it as the challenge of working in a kitchen preparing tasting menus on the fly. And Kristen really redeemed her poor leadership skills in restaurant wars by coming back and strongly yet confidently leading her team.

Yep.  I think there's no doubt that Kristen learned from her mistakes at managing a team. 

And, while I liked the format in so far as the "audience" went, I still wish that they had prepared all of their dishes for everyone to sample.

And I'll bet that the "audience" did, too.

#364 et alors

et alors
  • participating member
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

So, looking at that table of past winners: is it time yet for a season of all TC winners?

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

#365 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

If I had won, and things were going well, I wouldn't have the time or the risk tolerance for a second go-around.

#366 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

I really don't care to see a Top Chef Winners challenge.  Harold (season 1) is still my favorite, just for breaking the trail for all the rest to follow and I don't think he'd participate some ten years on.

#367 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't think I'd be interested in a Top Chef Winners series, but after this season, Kristen solidified my Top Chef dream team; Harold, Hung, Paul and Kristen.

#368 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, like I said, I just want to go to Korea with Kristen.

#369 et alors

et alors
  • participating member
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

ten years later, you should be a master... if you've got it. It'd be the classic age and treachery against youth and skill*. I'd be particularly interested in michael voltaggio, hung, kristen and blais going toe to toe.My bet would be on a voltaggio/kristen showdown at the end. 

*old saying, don't take it too seriously. 

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

#370 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Are master chefs going to be willing to play to all the shenanigans that Bravo loves to throw into the challenges? 

"Today, chefs, we want to you to prepare a meal of protein X and starch Y over an open campfire on the beach in the middle of a hurricane warning!  Your time. Starts. NOW!"

To hell with that. 

#371 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Are master chefs going to be willing to play to all the shenanigans that Bravo loves to throw into the challenges? 

"Today, chefs, we want to you to prepare a meal of protein X and starch Y over an open campfire on the beach in the middle of a hurricane warning!  Your time. Starts. NOW!"

To hell with that.

Have you not been watching Top Chef: Masters?
PS: I am a guy.

#372 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Is it on again?  I've watched it in the past, in fact I had mentioned a couple of pages back that the last one I watched was when Jonathan Waxman had had enough.

#373 et alors

et alors
  • participating member
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

The last top chef masters finale is worth watching. It was a battle of ideas in food. * Highly recommend.*

#374 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm sure well start a new topic about this season's Top Chef Masters once it airs.  In the end, I think this was probably my favorite season of Top Chef.

#375 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm sure well start a new topic about this season's Top Chef Masters once it airs.  In the end, I think this was probably my favorite season of Top Chef.

Yes. This one or the one with Fabio et al.

#376 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

After watching the finale for a third time I have an even greater appreciation for Kristen and her talents and style of cuisine.  I can't wait to try that snapper dish in my own kitchen.

#377 Big Joe the Pro

Big Joe the Pro
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Really, why?  I just rewatched it in it's entirety and it might be my least.  It's too touchy-feely for me.  It reminded me of Oprah (or at least what I imagine Oprah was, I'd never seen it) or **gasp** a reality show. :unsure:

Give me some interesting competitions (without going over the top), some food knowledge, a stew room brawl or two, some nice shots of Padma and a beer and I'm a happy camper.

Sorry but I really don't care about the chef's personal lives and starting from the first episode with Jeffery and his lover, well, it just seemed to go downhill from there.  If he had made it to the final I might have been interested but not before then.

Regarding Richard being arrogant; I just rewatched a few episodes of season eight and I can see how some could perceive him as arrogant but I guess I just like the guy so I personally never noticed it enough to let it bother me.  Also, Jen Carroll was so blatantly arrogant and cocky in what little screen time she had that everyone else seemed to be on their best behaviour.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

#378 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I can see how you might think it was more touchy-feely this year. Brooke's multiple phobias-flying in a helicopter for one, I could have done without. But I liked this season the most because they didn't have a bunch of bullies shaving a contestant's head and the Chefs weren't forced into making a cheetos casserole. I thought they did a decent job of spotlighting Pacific Northwest ingredients and focused more on cooking this season. Does Top Chef rise to the level of some of the all-time best food programming on television? No.

#379 Werdna

Werdna
  • participating member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Not a bad season, but not great. Still suffers from the broken game system of sending the worst home every time, which inevitably sends home good chefs.

My idea of the day: A running scoreboard (with increasing scores every episode as a catchup mechanic). Good chefs could get points to prevent them from being eliminated for a single mistake. Can still send home the lowest scorer every week.

Still, it was a pretty epic ending and I enjoyed it. The kitchen stadium thing could have been great, but it sure felt like we saw nothing of the cooking.

#380 trueLife

trueLife
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

Yes the ending has been the highlight, pretty unique though! This is what people look for…. Always something new. She has brought up a decent revolution. Lol.

I'm looking for a user friendly hospitality point of sale australia.

#381 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

The finale was a bit hokey, but it really demonstrated the ability of a Chef to work under extreme circumstances. When you can be creative and technically spot-on under those conditions, you're certainly talented.

#382 jharkins

jharkins
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Not a bad season, but not great. Still suffers from the broken game system of sending the worst home every time, which inevitably sends home good chefs.

My idea of the day: A running scoreboard (with increasing scores every episode as a catchup mechanic). Good chefs could get points to prevent them from being eliminated for a single mistake. Can still send home the lowest scorer every week.

Still, it was a pretty epic ending and I enjoyed it. The kitchen stadium thing could have been great, but it sure felt like we saw nothing of the cooking.

That's a very interesting idea! I would love to see that happen. It seems like a lot of people had trouble with the format: http://www.thebraise...troversy-today/