Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Strange wonderful fish.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

The best way to approach this is to identify a good sea food provider, and ask them what is in season, and currently "best", rather than asking for a specific type of fish....

Once you have the freshest, in season fish...then you decide what to do with it. At least that's they way i look at fish.

Edited by Heartsurgeon, 06 November 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#32 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

+1 for the above!
One always shops for what is in season and the freshest with fish.

As to skate/shark and ammonia, if your selling fish then it's normal but if you really understand fish, preparation and decomposition, then it's not normal. I've had skate wings, on the bone, filleted etc and, Mako shark and other types over the decades and most did not smell of ammonia in any way shape or form. Any that did, were thrown out as its a sign of improper handling/decomposition despite what 'experts' will tell you.-Dick

#33 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just a brief word about shark: most species of sharks are loaded with mercury. If you plan to have any pregnant women at the party don't serve shark. There are no longer a lot of fish in the sea; most are either loaded with mercury or fished or farmed in such a way as to be bad for the environment. I agree with the two posters above. Check out what's fresh and available in your area and then refer to the Monterey Bay Aquarium list of recommended fish and pick the best of both worlds.

#34 Bjs229

Bjs229
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Snook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

#35 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Holy cow thanks everyone! Lots of different options here. Skate on Slate is hilarious. Has a nice ring to it as well! :P

I will be doing all sorts of research when I return home tonight. Again thanks for all the responses. I will be up late tonight!

Alex.

Don't forget, dressing skate with Buerre noisette resolves the Ammonia thing. there is technical chemical reason for it but you can google that.
Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)