Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ash melon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Does anyone know about this? It is the size of a small watermelon, but related to a mirliton. Bake? Stuff ?

#2 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

Did you buy it in an Asian market? That's the only place I've seen it, aka winter melon. There are some typically Chinese preparations, including soup. Don't know of any particular LA uses....how will you cook it?

#3 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

The recipes I've seen are all for soups, stews or soupy braises.

#4 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

It was a gift from a client. I'll look up winter melon and see if that's what it is...I'll post a pic in a bit, maybe someone will have an idea why a mirliton relative has an Asian cousin?

#5 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

It was a gift from a client. I'll look up winter melon and see if that's what it is...I'll post a pic in a bit, maybe someone will have an idea why a mirliton relative has an Asian cousin?

Botanically speaking, they're not especially close....

#6 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

The giver was perhaps referring to how it's used...like we use a mirliton, as a base in dishes that showcase something else (seafood)...or scooped and re stuffed after being sautéed with trinity and anything you want, from sausage to crawfish. Perhaps that s how dh got the idea they were related? I saw a recipe for an Asian pastry, may investigate that! Thanks!