Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ingredients for Molecular Gastronomy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Does anyone know of a place in Ottawa or the Ottawa area where I can find the ingredients I need for molecular gastronomy? So far, I have been able to find a few things but the more "chemically" things as I think of them as, I have been unable to find. If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be grateful. Or, if you know of reliable mail order sources, I'd be happy with that too. Thank you.

#2 Dexter

Dexter
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Depends on what you are looking for, honestly. ModernistPantry.com ships internationally for pretty reasonable prices, and they sell just about everything in small to medium portions (like, good for a dozen or so servings, rather than 2 kilo restaurant packages).

Homebrew supply houses also sell a lot of the stuff that is used - I think there is a DeFalco's in Ottawa? Any of them will have things like clarifying agents, calcium salts, etc.

Edited by Dexter, 25 October 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#3 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 306 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I get my ingredients from Modernist Pantry. Great service and they have a wide range of merchandise. They use US postal service which works well to Canada.

#4 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thank you Dexter and Okanagancook. Yes, there is a Defalco's here and I will see what they have and as you both pointed out, I can order from Modernist Pantry. However, if any more locals want to chime in with suggestions, I'm all ears (or rather, eyes).