Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Amaro – Shelf Life and Favorites

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 pogophiles

pogophiles
  • participating member
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Definitely add Lucano to the "pie-spice" category.
Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

#32 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Maybe some tasting is in order. The grouping criterion goal is being able to substitute for each other, rather than actually what they have in them or even how similar they taste. To illustrate, it would (probably) be better to substitute Orchard Apricot for Cherry Heering than it would be to use Kirschwasser or Maraschino.

For example, if one didn't have CardAmaro, would you use dell Erboriste, Punt e Mes, or even regular sweet vermouth? I don't know without some tasting and thinking.
Cynar also sticks out. Yes, it's made out of a vegetable, but I think its role is more in the Citrus family. But again, maybe I need to sip it in contrast to say Cynar and del Capo and think.
My Amer Boudreau is more pie-spice in character than citrus, probably because of the Ramazzotti in it. I need to contrast it to Campari then think about Saller and Sibilia.
And Sibilia is, I think, too bitter to put it in other categories. Substituting it for, say, Saller would require a huge amount of fiddling, I think, to keep the bitterness in check. Unless we give up on that and say, "Hey, this works but the result will be massively more bitter."

Can we define a "center" of each category -- the amaro that is most prototypical? This might help us decide some of the border cases.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#33 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I plan to add Nonino, and maybe Ramazzotti, to the Lucano, Fernet Branca, Cynar, Campari and Aperol that I already have and call it good enough for a while. I've been going a touch overboard with the cabinet stocking for my budget and need to slow it down a bit. So, with that limited selection, a substitution chart will be a very handy thing to have around.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#34 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hey! I just opened up my new replacement bottle of Averna and noticed that the label and cap were slightly different than my old bottle. This usually worries me. So I checked each label carefully and saw that the new label says 29% alcohol and the old one said 32%. I had about a quarter ounce of the old one in a jigger so I did a taste comparison. The new one is definitely sweeter and less complex.

Please say it ain't so! Averna is (was) my favorite amaro. Damn.

Dan