Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

North Again – the Tradition Continues

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#91 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

well. that bread might not have been what you expected, but Im guessing that the crumb was might good!

#92 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

It was indeed tasty bread in spite of it's appearance.

Opted for a second drink tonight -

DSCN0653.jpg

The Maximilian Affair.

Sure hope they don't decide they need a second doc in this town tonight - I'm a tad pissed and have a killer case of the hiccoughs.

In spite of that managed to mix up a batch of MCAH egg noodles to go with chicken broth that Anna made.

#93 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

between the cocktails, the semolina bread, and the duck for breakfast--wish I were there. all calling out to me.

#94 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I was a bit less ambitious yesterday as I knew Kerry and a friend were going to play with chocolate and would need the kitchen. I did however make the MCAH sous-vide vegetable stock. Here's the mise:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915411.024101.jpg

And the finished product, strained, after a nice rest in the fridge overnight:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915439.993061.jpg

Not quite sure what it is destined for yet.

My boneless yakitori wings were a flop. Not the fault of MCAH but of my failure to RTFM!
Somehow I managed to miss or avoid some crucial instructions in the recipe like loosen the bones BEFORE cooking them. As a result there was simply no way to remove the bones once they were cooked without the wings falling apart. Rather than totally wasting all that time and those wings I tossed them, post sous vide, into potato starch and shallow-fried them. They were crispy though they looked somewhat leprous from uneven coating with potato starch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915493.689160.jpg

Kerry and I devoured them any way. Must try them again when all my neurons are firing.

Today I am not quite sure what I will get up to. Like Kerry I am anxious to do something yeasty so I might attempt some pizza dough.

Here are the spice cookies Kerry made and took to the clinic this morning:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915528.049400.jpg

She had to rush off so asked me to post about them. The cheese muffins which she took to rounds didn't get a chance to be photographed. The staff scarfed them as though the only time anyone eats is when Kerry comes north.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#95 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

So I managed to make the Neapolitan pizza dough from MCAH. Kerry even had the correct brand of 00 flour and some vital gluten in the pantry! The dough is resting now but it may have to wait to be turned into pizza until we have some mozzarella.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350935846.632544.jpg

This afternoon I thought I would tackle the microwave "fried" herbs. How difficult could it be? Well I would have to say that it is one of those modernist techniques that causes me to give my head a shake or two. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The recipe asks you to cover a m/w safe plate with m/w safe plastic wrap, pull it taut, oil it and place some herbs on top to "fry".

My first attempt led to a rapid break down of the plastic wrap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350935876.380127.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350935923.089247.jpg

I theorized I had been too heavy-handed with the oil.

My second attempt being much less generous with the oil seemed to work until I lifted the leaves off the plastic:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350935947.657097.jpg

Like I said ...... Just because you can....

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#96 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

If you look in the fridge you'll find some mozzarella - the kind they use to make the fungi pizza you like so much from Pane Fresco. I'll pick up some mushrooms on the way home.

#97 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I wonder why the above has to be an plastic wrap? why not try on a dry plate? what does the PW add?

#98 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I was a bit less ambitious yesterday as I knew Kerry and a friend were going to play with chocolate and would need the kitchen. I did however make the MCAH sous-vide vegetable stock. Here's the mise:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915411.024101.jpg

And the finished product, strained, after a nice rest in the fridge overnight:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350915439.993061.jpg

Anna - what are the ingredients in the vegetable stock (I see carrots in your photo, maybe some onions) and what makes it "modernist" compared to conventional vegetable stocks?

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 22 October 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#99 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

The cocktail du jour was an Improved Gin Cocktail.

DSCN0661.jpg

DInner - MC@H Neopolitan pizza dough with funghi topping.

DSCN0663.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0667.jpg

DSCN0669.jpg

Dough was wonderfully easy to work with - but other than that a little disappointing. I think I should have gone much thinner with it.

#100 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

Anna - what are the ingredients in the vegetable stock (I see carrots in your photo, maybe some onions) and what makes it "modernist" compared to conventional vegetable stocks?

The ingredients are pretty conventional except perhaps for a tiny bit of star anise. What makes it modernist is the cooking technique -- sous-vide. They also offer an alternative of pressure cooking the stock.

My 2004 eG Blog

#101 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

DSCN0671.jpg

For work today - a Kuchen. Big honking raisins, some apricot preserves between the two layers and a rather disappointing crumb on the top. I should have worked in some more butter so the crumb was bigger.

DSCN0677.jpg

Still working on the filling for the snobinette cups for the Luxury Chocolate show - this is a ganache made with Cacao Barry Mexique and margarita flavours. It's a bit in your face - I need to see if it balances out when it's in a cup topped with some milk chocolate. All I've got up here to work with is limade concentrate in a can but that seems to replace the lime puree reasonably well.

#102 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

DSCN0680.jpg

Cheesy goodness - toasted cheddar cheese bread, topped with Anna's homemade feta to which I have added some dill, parsley, chives, garlic and black pepper. I might be a tad garlicy offensive to some this morning!

#103 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

DSCN0680.jpg

Cheesy goodness - toasted cheddar cheese bread, topped with Anna's homemade feta to which I have added some dill, parsley, chives, garlic and black pepper. I might be a tad garlicy offensive to some this morning!

Now that is my kind of breakfast.

#104 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Today seemed like a good day to determine what needed to be used up. There were leftover leeks, a potato, carrots that would soon be over the hill and a half bottle of expensive carrot juice.

The leeks and potato became soup making use of some MCAH vegetable stock supplemented by a cup or so of MCAH chicken stock.

Kerry just had time for a bowl of leek and potato soup before rushing back to work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351013586.408614.jpg

The carrots and carrot juice became more MCAH caramelized carrot soup. Must say that the more often you make it the less daunting it becomes. It is soup weather so I am sure it will be eaten.

Kerry dropped into the grocery store at lunch time and procured some chicken thighs and 3+ lbs of pork belly.

The chicken thighs are destined to become tonight's dinner as part of Roast Chicken with Caramelized Shallots from David Lebovitz' blog and will use up a bunch of shallots I brought with me.

The pork belly will become Pork Adobo from MCAH tomorrow.

My 2004 eG Blog

#105 dhardy123

dhardy123
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Anna

here is a suggestion from Johnny Zhu regarding the Pork Adobo from MCAH:

http://egullet.org/p1894146

#106 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

am I looking forward to your take on the P.A from MC@H.

I havent made it to the Chinese grocery yet to get the belly, but thats the first Id like to make.

if it works out, Ill try to make one with orange peel and chinese hot peppers.

Good Luck!

Edited by rotuts, 23 October 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#107 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Anna

here is a suggestion from Johnny Zhu regarding the Pork Adobo from MCAH:

http://egullet.org/p1894146

I am, of course, closely following that topic but thanks for the heads up. I would surely have missed that useful observation.

My 2004 eG Blog

#108 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Tonight's drink, made and photographed by Kerry:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351026267.234080.jpg

Don't give up the ship.

My 2004 eG Blog

#109 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thank you to FrogPrincesse for the drink suggestion.

Working on the filling for the chocolates - I made the margarita filling - enrobed in milk chocolate. Anna seems to think I'm a slob for some strange reason.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

See the frog mold there - it is now filled with Miso Butter filling. I took some of the leftover miso butter from dinner, added it to some milk chocolate and used it for a filling. Very tasty with milk chocolate.

#110 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Miso Frogs were very tasty - chocolatey salty goodness.

DSCN0682.jpg

We are getting closer with the rotovap - right now I need a couple of pieces of tubing of the right size. Got to figure out where I'm going to find those around here. I know I've got some chest tube tubing in the ER but I think it's a bit small, and not the slightest bit flexible which makes it hard to jam onto a piece of glass.

#111 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Ok, the Rotovap looks very interesting, and I am wondering, what does it do? What is the plan for it this trip?

The Wahl Water guys on the Island might have some flexible tubing for you, they installed the reverse osmosis system at the Chocolate Works. I think they are located in Tekuhmah.

Can't wait to see what you guys cook up next :-)

#112 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Wahl Water guys - I may find myself forced to give them a call.

It's a still basically - but it distills under vacuum and with a heat source under the charge. The vacuum allows you to distill at much lower temperatures than a traditional still. The roto part of it turns the charge in the heat source so that more surface area is available for evaporation.

The plan this trip is just to try it out and get it up and running. I brought some dried violet flowers along and might try a hydrodistillation of the essential oil from them. We, of course, would not use it to distill alcohol because that is illegal.

#113 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Flower hydrodistillation sounds interesting. Will it take essences from other things like vanilla bean or ginger? Would it make a highly concentrated flavour then?

Anna, that cheese looks yummy! Is there a favourite book or site you are using for your technique? I have always wanted to make my own cheeses and feta would be nice to know how to do. Someday, I am going to make my own too!

#114 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

We, of course, would not use it to distill alcohol because that is illegal.

Perish the thought!
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#115 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Flower hydrodistillation sounds interesting. Will it take essences from other things like vanilla bean or ginger? Would it make a highly concentrated flavour then?

Anna, that cheese looks yummy! Is there a favourite book or site you are using for your technique? I have always wanted to make my own cheeses and feta would be nice to know how to do. Someday, I am going to make my own too!

Beth, I use Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll and Artisan Cheese Making at Home by Ed Anderson & Mary Karlin. The feta was from the Anderson book.

My 2004 eG Blog

#116 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

You can distill all sorts of things to make essential oils - the one I've purchased that I've never been happy with is ginger - and I'll bet doing it myself won't make a difference. I suspect there are compounds in ginger that distill and compounds that are left behind in the aqueous phase - and the ones that distill don't taste very good without the other ones.

#117 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

A bit late to be asking this, but Anna, why were you disappointed in the pizza dough? Was it the dough itself or the thickness of the dough as used in the pizza? I am slowly getting my ingredients together to start cooking from MC@H and that dough is on my to try list.

#118 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Last night's dinner was quite satisfactory:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351090686.361953.jpg

Roasted chicken with caramelized shallots and bok choy. The bok choy was done in a bowl in the m/w covered in plastic wrap - in other words not in a plastic bag as before. It is dressed with miso butter.

Today I began the pork adobo from MCAH. While the grated onion and crushed garlic sweated in the open pressure cooker, I tackled the mise en place:

And here is the result of step one:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351090771.499903.jpg

It is being cooled in a sinkful of water and then I will bung it into the fridge to give the flavours a chance to become acquainted.

(I was grating the onions by hand, a miserable task sure to need boxes and boxes of bandaids, when Kerry suggested the FP with the grating blade! Brilliant.)

Kerry, who is currently slaving in emerg, has made up the MCAH noodle dough which she will put through the pasta machine and I will make up a sauce so we can have Khai Soy tonight.

Edited to try to fix an issue with images. Succeeded in losing one!

Edited by Anna N, 24 October 2012 - 08:11 AM.

My 2004 eG Blog

#119 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

A bit late to be asking this, but Anna, why were you disappointed in the pizza dough? Was it the dough itself or the thickness of the dough as used in the pizza? I am slowly getting my ingredients together to start cooking from MC@H and that dough is on my to try list.

It was actually Kerry who expressed disappointment with the dough so I will let her answer.

My 2004 eG Blog

#120 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

thanks for so many pics ( so far ) :biggrin: