Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

North Again – the Tradition Continues

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#61 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I seem to have internet access out here in Wiki today - so I should be able to follow along. It was a lovely drive this morning - going from rainy Little Current to little peaks of sun to a clearly sunny day here in Wiki. The changing leaves are gorgeous and there were no OPP on the road!

I ran home for a quick minute after rounds in order to get a bite of breakfast - a couple of slices of Anna's walnut bread toasted, some cheddar cheese and a nice slathering of onion jam. Snarfed it down as I drove.

The cookies and the banana bread are almost gone in the lunch room and it's not 11 yet.

#62 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

The carrot soup is quite amazing and remarkably simple to make if you use purchased carrot juice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350663735.256985.jpg

Even using supermarket carrots the flavour is intense. With freshly dug carrots from the garden or the Farmers' Market it would probably achieve orbit.

I brought the milk to temperature and added the culture. It is now ripening as I try to maintain the temperature at 30 C for an hour.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350663760.891890.jpg

The steaks are in the sous vide so I'm going to put my feet up for 1/2 hour until my cheese calls for attention.

Edited to remove a line repeated from my previous post.

Edited by Anna N, 19 October 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Lunch in real time - potato soup, chicken salad sandwich and a chai latte.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

#64 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Anna, I baked your tea loaf yesterday and had a couple of slices today with my - what else- cup of tea. I had them toasted with butter and they were delicious. It is hard to imagine that such a simple recipe could be so tasty. Thanks for sharing.

#65 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Anna, I baked your tea loaf yesterday and had a couple of slices today with my - what else- cup of tea. I had them toasted with butter and they were delicious. It is hard to imagine that such a simple recipe could be so tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I could not believe such a recipe could produce anything but a disaster when my sister first shared it. I have made it many times since and am anxious to try it with a little rum as suggested by lesliec.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#66 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

So I have added the calcium chloride and the rennet to the milk. For the next hour I shall again be trying to maintain a temperature of 30 C while paying great homage to the cheese god. If she's willing I'll have curds an hour from now.

My 2004 eG Blog

#67 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

And the cheese god smiled upon me:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350669246.096731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350669264.892105.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#68 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

It's probably not a huge help to you if I say that my only experience fermenting teff for injera was also a miserable failure. I don't remember whose recipe I was following (I know I was in grad school, living in my house rather than my apartment but before I started dating my now-husband, which puts it somewhere between 1995 and 1996) but mine also turned out to be inedibly sour. I obviously haven't gotten around to trying it again, but I think that if I do, I'd be inclined to maybe ferment a tiny portion of teff flour to get the flavor, but use some form of chemical leavining for lift.

It's a shame, because Ethiopian is another on my list of "cuisines I love, but need to make myself if I want any".

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#69 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

So Kerry threw me a bit of a curve ball. She called me around 2 p.m.to say she was heading back from Wiki and would pick me up so we could hit the "flee" market before it closed. Then on the way home we stopped at the United Church yard sale and then, on the spur of the moment we decided to stop for dinner.

As a consequence of all of this a few things fell off my list and the steak and cheese had to wait a bit longer for my attention. Kerry dealt with the steaks and they are now being chilled and I dealt with the cheese. It is well on its way to being feta. It is salted and will age a few days in the fridge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350688148.288564.jpg

Kerry wanted me to share a photo of my recipe card holder:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350688117.668331.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#70 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Only had the phone with me today - so my pictures are a little poor. I was originally taking a picture of some dogs running free in Wiki (too far away to be seen in the picture) and managed to accidentally snap this picture of the rose hips outside the clinic when I forgot to disable the camera on the phone.

IMG_0386.jpg

Stopped at Strawberry point to take a picture of some cows - also too far away to be seen.

IMG_0388.jpg

Dinner tonight was at the Edgewater in Little Current. It's a restaurant that has been around since I was a kid - it's been open, it's been closed... now it's open again by a chef who ran a high end restaurant in Sudbury for a number of years.

They had an Italian theme'd menu this week - quite a variety of choices in the 3 courses. We shared apps of carpaccio and calamari fritti.

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Followed by seafood risotto and salmon

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Dessert was referred to as Sabayon - I think rather loosely - never seen a sabayon that could be piped this way.

IMG_0401.jpg

#71 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

A bit of catching up on pictures.

Yesterday when I came home early we were able to catch the 'flee' market that Anna mentioned. This is an old building that sits on the side of the road in Sheguindah (the 'town' south of Little Current) and houses a rag tag collection of stuff. There's an appliance section that has everything from old ringer washers and iron stoves to bar fridges, a book section, some antiques and junkque, surplus jobbers food and cleaning items and there is even a Watkins table set up.

Upstairs there is kitchen and glassware and a variety of furniture. Suffice it to say - you never know what you'll find!

There was also a jumble sale going on at the United Church - so we hit that one our way home.

Our haul -

DSCN0631.jpg

One of these great Tablemate ll tables - nothing exciting to look at but they hold 50 lbs (or one volume of Modernist Cuisine at Home).

DSCN0633.jpg

Food goodies - I'd paid about $3.00 for Savoiardi packages at home - these were $1.00 each, also $1.00 each for the fancy cashews and cinnamon mixed nuts. 50 cents for the little knorr concentrated stock packages (apparently they are closer to $4 in stores).

DSCN0634.jpg

Anna got a couple of nice aprons, a thermometer that won't get wonky around induction and a couple of cheese draining implements. I got some foil containers for a few cents - I've been stocking my elderly father's freezer with meals for when he doesn't feel like cooking. And a stainless lid for the many little hotel pans I have at home and use in my chocolate room.

Our cocktail last night - Eeyore's Requiem

DSCN0630.jpg

#72 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

DSCN0635.jpg

Got a call from the doc going off call to hand over some patients - then spoke to the nurse who said there was no one waiting to see me in the ER. I jokingly said - "but I've got my baking done, you better send someone over to pick it up in case I don't have to come in this morning". Well 15 minutes later there is a knock at the door!

So the only picture I've got is the ones we hung on to for ourselves - and Anna's already eaten half of hers.

I enjoyed mine slathered with butter and a bit of nice Seville orange marmalade.

#73 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

This morning's breakfast of shredded duck and leftover steak on toasted light rye. Onion jam on top of the steak:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350759571.676222.jpg

Not feeling quite as ambitious today but did manage to get the brined wings into the sous vide (should have gone in last night!) and made the mushroom puree from MCAH preparatory to attempting the striped omelet:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350759595.338979.jpg

I also microwaved the bok choy as per MCAH and think this one needs a trip back to the drawing board. The bok choy was fine and I ate mine with some miso butter but ........... the plastic bags both exploded in the microwave. My bok choy were slightly larger so I had to divide them between two bags and cook them consecutively. I used a store brand zipper bag the first time and a Ziplock bag the second time. Both exploded.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350759615.903914.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350759638.651279.jpg

I ate the bok choy along with some leftover steak for lunch, washed it down with 2 glasses of wine, followed that up with 1/2 a Score bar and slept it off while Kerry rushed off to the hospital to do the work that allows us to come to Manitoulin. No, I do not have a guilty conscience - I am simply amoral.

My 2004 eG Blog

#74 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I was originally taking a picture of some dogs running free in Wiki (too far away to be seen in the picture) and managed to accidentally snap this picture of the rose hips outside the clinic when I forgot to disable the camera on the phone.

The area where I pick wild blueberries also has huge growths of wild roses that become huge amounts of rose hips in the fall. I go out and look at them every year hoping something I could do with them will come to me... so far that's failed to happen.

Our cocktail last night - Eeyore's Requiem

Still one of my personal favorites.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#75 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Another iteration of the tea cake this time with some dark rum and I added a few chopped dates and some slivered almonds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350770891.002385.jpg

Had just put some rice on to cook for supper when the phone rang and Kerry was off to emerg once more. Fortunately the torrential rain had stopped only minutes before.

So I ate alone. The Ethiopian stew which was supposed to be accompanied by injera bread found itself, instead, on top of jasmine rice. The green beans were tossed in olive oil and salt and roasted. I think they are as much a snack as a meal accompaniment so I ate them with my fingers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350770916.746218.jpg

I told you I am amoral so I made myself a negroni ... Kerry won't drink when she's working.

My 2004 eG Blog

#76 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

The area where I pick wild blueberries also has huge growths of wild roses that become huge amounts of rose hips in the fall. I go out and look at them every year hoping something I could do with them will come to me... so far that's failed to happen.

Did you google rose hip syrup? I grew up on it and I see it is now being used as a cocktail ingredient.

My 2004 eG Blog

#77 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

The green beans were tossed in olive oil and salt and roasted. I think they are as much a snack as a meal accompaniment so I ate them with my fingers.

Olive oil and salt roasted green beans sounds like some tv-time snacking I could get into. I wonder which beer goes best with olive oil and salt roasted green beans? :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#78 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Did you google rose hip syrup? I grew up on it and I see it is now being used as a cocktail ingredient.

Haven't googled them at all. I guess I thought if I stared at them long enough, they'd become embarrassed and tell me what to do so I'd go away. I did discover the hard way that popping them in your mouth and chewing is only nice for a few seconds. Those hairy seeds are not pleasant. I'll do some searching and see what turns up.

#79 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

An urge to bake bread today caused me to put together a couple of loaves of cheddar cheese bread. Also put together the poolish for some semolina bread that I'll work on tomorrow.

DSCN0639.jpg

I'm getting closer to getting the rotovap up and running - got one of the nurses to bring me in her fountain pump - I'll see if I can figure out how to hook it up to circulate chilled water for the condenser. One step at a time!

#80 SaltySnack

SaltySnack
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Please explain more about steaming the bok choy in the microwave? Very curious as I love bok choy but rarely cook it.

#81 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Please explain more about steaming the bok choy in the microwave? Very curious as I love bok choy but rarely cook it.

This is a recipe from Modernist Cuisine at Home. Basically you clean it, halve a few plants legthwise and then either microwave in a ziplock bag with a little water or on a plate covered with microwave safe plastic wrap. In an 1100 watt oven the recommendation is 2 mins followed by a 2 minute rest before serving.

My 2004 eG Blog

#82 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

I like to half baby bok choy, put a little hoisin sauce on the halves and then steam. A guilty pleasure, I guess. Got to try it in the microwave.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#83 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

Ive been doing microwave green leafy veg for a long time, spinach, swiss chard, Bok. and as long as you guess the time correctly it works fine. never thought of the plastic wrap on top of it though. will give it a try. I use a glass bowl with a glass lid.

#84 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

I kinda like the glass bowl with glass lid idea - hate to be throwing away the plastic. Same sort of thing as wishing the silicone bags would have worked sous vide.

#85 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

this is an older pyrex bowl 'Clear Advantage' Ive had it a while and Im guessing its and old school Pyrex. the Clear advantage is not so important as this is just for veg. it doesnt really say its size but there is a 024 then 2 L (maybe an L) on the bottom.

it fits very snugly one bag of commercial spinach. its main use. you can see how the spinach is doing and one full bag need one mix during its radiation to get the center stuff done the same.

it will be a great loss when I drop it!

very good item to eye-ball on your thrifty visits.

it might be this:

http://www.amazon.co...yrex clear bowl

Edited by rotuts, 21 October 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#86 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

I've got a couple of those at home in my collection in two sizes. Both have lids.

#87 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

the 'full bag of spinach' is the two qt. I dont have the 1 1/2 qt. :angry:

the glass lid fits perfectly on some of my mega heavy copper pots from FR

http://www.e-dehille...-extra-fort.php

extra fort. in FR for my northern neighbors!

:biggrin:

extra work-out while using as a bonus. not so energy efficient though

:hmmm:

Edited by rotuts, 21 October 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#88 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

It has not been a day for things to turn out as expected. My Semolina Filone - appears to be more of a semolina flatbread (or slightly rounded bread). It poured out of the thermomix more like a batter than a dough - it's been a while since I made it and I know it seemed overly hydrated in the past but seemed to firm up when you applied the turns to it in the first hour of rising. I suspect when I've made it at home I've used atta flour instead of supermarket semolina that I've ground finer in the thermomix so I suspect it just didn't absorb as much water. A little extra flour would have likely gone a long way!

Instructions say to form into a boule, let sit for 30 minutes on the counter, then shape into a filone - not going to be happening with this loaf - it required restraints.

DSCN0642.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

And there was no way of getting it off of the parchment until after it was done.

#89 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Wow! You know how they say TV adds 10 lbs to your figure? Well the camera appears to have added some weighty rotundity to Kerry's bread! Trust me it looks less like a skinny batard and more like a slightly obese flatbread! She will have a chance to make fun of my epic failure when I post about my yakitori chicken wings.

My 2004 eG Blog

#90 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

The crumb on my slightly obese flat bread.

DSCN0650.jpg

The kitchen after my friend Barbara left from her chocolate lesson.

DSCN0646.jpg

The libation for today - Tailspin - we nearly went in to same when we discovered we had no cherries in the fridge.

DSCN0647.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal, 21 October 2012 - 02:57 PM.