Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Recs for Atlanta Convention Center Area (or Nearby)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

I've got four -- count 'em -- four dinners in a row that I'll be hosting while in Atlanta for a convention next month, and I'd like to get them booked as soon as possible. If I can hit a $20-40 pp price point for a drink, shared app(s), and an entree, I'd be happy. These are not food fiends such as yours truly, so something interesting enough but quality would be great. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#2 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

There's a southern restaurant that we had a group dinner at when I was there for a conference it's called pittypat's porch. I don't remember the food being spectacular but it wasnt bad and it was a fun experience.

#3 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Also it is within walking distance of the convention center.

#4 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, toolprincess! Any other ideas out there?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#5 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

There's not a whole lot nearby the convention center, but you'll have access to easy public transportation.

MARTA to Decatur for Cakes and Ale or Brickstore Pub. There are other good places in Decatur and it's a nice area to walk.

MARTA or bus to Empire State South. I haven't been there, but it's high on my list of places to try.

#6 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Sorry to be a little late to this post. If it's not too late I've got several suggestions in order of my recommendation:

Holeman & Finch -- For lack of a better word it's a gastropub, but that's selling it short. The best cocktail program in Atlanta as far as I'm concerned and the food is outstanding and right in your price range. Also an amazing burger that they sell in limited quanities nightly.

One Eared Stag -- A funkier and more creative take on southern farm-to-table. This is what modern southern cooking is about.

The Optimist -- Seafood/Raw Bar -- I'm a reluctant to recommend a seafood restaurant in Atlanta to a Rhode Islander, but it's outstanding. The main restaurant may be a little over budget but the raw bar, which has a separate menu from the restaurant, is also very good. Oh, they also have a small putting green outside in case you want to practice your putting stroke after dinner.

Local Three -- Another take on southern cuisine, similar to Empire State South, but a bit looser and less expensive. The bar offers a great selection of bourbons/ryes.

Lastly, the Decatur suggestion is a good one -- lots of bars restaurants within walking distance of each other. If you head out that way, I'd recommend No. 246 which has some of the best pasta dishes in Atlanta.

Hope you have good time while you're here.

#7 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks -- that's extremely helpful!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#8 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks again, everyone. I have reservations at both One Eared Stag and the Optimist and will report back.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#9 RAHiggins1

RAHiggins1
  • participating member
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

If its not too late I'd throw The Spence in the mix.

Edited by RAHiggins1, 15 November 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

#10 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Really, really liked One Eared Stag across the board. Optimist was less successful -- overcooked fish and pork in particular -- but still a good fit for what we needed. But OES is terrific.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#11 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Glad you enjoyed OES, it's kind of flown under the radar a bit here. Since I posted, I've heard from several folks that Optimist has struggled handling the post-Esquire crowds -- hopefully they get it back on track since it was really outstanding the first few months after opening.

#12 Beth E.

Beth E.
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Which convention center is this? I'm getting the idea that Atlanta has more than 1. I will be at the Georgia World Congress Center and I don't know if any of these places are close to that convention center.