Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Seeking culinary goodies in the Yucatan. Has anyone got any advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NatashaH

NatashaH
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi,

We're off to the Yucatan next month, staying in Valladolid, Merida, Campeche and Tulum. We're only just beginning to catch on to good Mexican food here in the UK and I really want to explore the culinary opportunities to the full while I'm out there.

Has anyone got any great recommendations?

Thanks - in advance,

Natasha

#2 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

You can try saving the seeds of the chiles and growing them yourself. I think the unusual chile there is called Xcatic. (Someone will correct me, I'm sure.)
Also you could try and bring back the recados- pastes ground from annato seeds and seasonings and other good things. There's a classic red, a black for stuffed turkey and even one for beef.
Chaya leaved would be great but I don't you'd get them through customs.
Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#3 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

the courtyard restaurant of the Meson de Marques hotel in Valladolid serves fantastic local cuisine. Actually that's probably the best place to stay in the city, too. Next door there's also an open air food-court kind of market, which has many tasty goodies.

Not much of note that I recall in Tulum, but an hour up the road in Playa is Yaxche, which serves only pre-Hispanic Mayan recipes, which are quite delicious.

It also goes without saying that the street food everywhere is pretty good

Edited by Hassouni, 05 October 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sorry! I misunderstood and thought you were looking for culinary souvenirs to take home. Where I got that idea, who knows??? Sorry.
Twitter @RanchoGordo
"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

#5 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

This place was incredible. I think we just ordered two of everything.

Posted Image

In Merida

Posted Image
Twitter @RanchoGordo

#6 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Just back from a week in Playa Del Carmen and the culinary standout by far was Yaxche

can't say enough great things about the place