Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Donut Joints

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yesterday I stopped into a donut place that I'd never been to, in a neighborhood that I rarely frequent. What struck me was the simiarity to every other donut joint I've been to, both in decor (and I use the term loosely) and the style and taste of the donuts.

I like buttermilk and old fashioned donuts, and everywhere I go these donuts look alike and taste very similar. I was wondering if these little mom-and-pop shops use a standard mix to make their treats.

I'm located in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. Are there any shops around that produce something different in the way of donuts, perhaps using their own recipes or ingredients? I don't grab a donut very often, so it would be nice to get away from the mediocre sameness of these typical shops.

Edited by Shel_B, 03 October 2012 - 07:16 AM.

.... Shel

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Yes, you are correct, many places buy dough/batter mixes from one big manufacturer. The stuff is cheap, and it's super-simple to handle, so, untrained staff can get consistent results.

#3 Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe
  • participating member
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

99.9% of the doughnut shops in North America use mixes from companies like this:

http://www.yourbakem...ucts/donut.html

Which always makes me chuckle when I read a report from someone who says Place A is so much better than Place B. The reality is that both places are most likely using the identical mix, but Place A replaces their oil on a more frequent basis...
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#4 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

For a splurge you could go to Bellanico on Park Blvd Oakland and get the bombolini. Really good. They have them as a brunch food on the weekend or regularly for dessert. Italian style donuts, with coffee, makes a great treat.

#5 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

99.9% of the doughnut shops in North America use mixes from companies like this:

http://www.yourbakem...ucts/donut.html

Which always makes me chuckle when I read a report from someone who says Place A is so much better than Place B. The reality is that both places are most likely using the identical mix, but Place A replaces their oil on a more frequent basis...

Exactly! I worked for a month at a mom & pop place on the east coast that the locals loved. We used the same Dawn mixes as the chain place a couple blocks away, but, we changed our oil religiously. We also didn't water down the fillings.

#6 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Linda's Donuts in Pacific Beach - especially their signature wholewheat raisin bars.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#7 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Linda's Donuts in Pacific Beach - especially their signature wholewheat raisin bars.

San Diego is a bit far to go for a donut. :wink:

.... Shel

#8 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

For a splurge you could go to Bellanico on Park Blvd Oakland and get the bombolini. Really good. They have them as a brunch food on the weekend or regularly for dessert. Italian style donuts, with coffee, makes a great treat.

Sounds intriguing. Haven't been to that area in quite a while.

.... Shel