Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Geranium, Copenhagen – Only 1 star?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FDE

FDE
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

After reading so much last year about Chef Rasmus Kofoed's challenging journey to achieve Gold in Bocuse d'Or, we finally visited his new location, at the home ground of the Danish national football team! I was so impressed by this meal and since there wasn’t much written about Geranium, I had to start this topic!

Rasmus stunned all of us with an elaborate series of ten amuse bouches at the lounge followed by eight courses in the dining room. Below are just some highlights:

Carrot & Sea-buckthorn

P1050689b.jpg

"razor clams" with edible shell

P1050717.JPG

Jerusalem artichoke tree & Walnut oil

P1050730b.jpg

Burnt potato & sheep's milk butter

P1050736.JPG

The second course of the menu was a plate of Stones and the manager advised us to eat only the green ones of course! The stone was a cube of salmon coated in dill jello, served with salmon roe and dill sauce. Moist and tasty centre with a nice spark from the salmon roe!

P1050751.JPG

I initially thought the mackerel was smoked but it was actually just lightly salted. It was the paper thin layer of ash sandwiched between the mackerel giving out an intense smokiness.

P1050775.JPG

Served on a trendy metal plate was Langoustine & Hay aroma. Brilliant texture, nice charcoalness, and just a few tiny pieces of wild herbs on top, that was all it needed.

P1050803b.jpg

A tea pot of lamb stock and herb with garlic and thyme. Each drop was packed with flavours.

P1050808.JPG

Then our server invited us into the kitchen to sit behind his Bocuse d'Or trophies! While being entertained by the close-up actions in the kitchen, they served us one of Rasmus' signature courses - Chervil & White chocolate.

P1050845.JPG P1050842.JPG

Carrot leaf and Green egg

P1050862b.jpg P1050866b.jpg

Rasmus flawlessly delivered an inspiring meal using regional ingredients with such a high quality beyond my expectation. There is no doubt that this restaurant deserves to be in a different league. If Michelin can give out 2-star to a pub in England that serves average decent food, then this meal we had is probably about... 10 stars?!
Fine Dining Explorer
www.finediningexplorer.com

#2 Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Fab. But I would probably come away hungry and stop off for fish & chips on my way home.

#3 FDE

FDE
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Mark, as I mentioned, above was an extract, the whole meal consisted of 10 amuse bouches at the lounge followed by 8 courses in the dining room. I would be very surprised if you can finish a full plate of fish & chips after the 18 portions of food with bread:)

You can check out the full meal here if you want:
http://www.finedinin...ic/geranium.php
Fine Dining Explorer

#4 Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Okay - maybe just one piece of fish. Is this restaurant really in the belly of a football stadium?

#5 FDE

FDE
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Ya, I could probably have a piece of fish, but not the chips:). It is part of the stadium through the back entrance on the 8th floor... I think it is the administration office area of the stadium?! The window from the kitchen does have a view of the football field (or the stage as they often host concerts).

Edited by FDE, 03 October 2012 - 12:53 PM.

Fine Dining Explorer

#6 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Now with 2 stars. Hubby and I going in May. Excited!

#7 FDE

FDE
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Excellent, 2-star now. Very glad! Hope you will enjoy the meal!

Fine Dining Explorer