Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Looking for HIP dinner place in DC

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

That's very kind of you to let her choose. Given that it's just the two of you, if money is no (or very minimal) object, I'd recommend Marcel's. It's not hip in the way most of the others mentioned in this thread are, but it's clearly one of the best restaurants in DC. Similarly, if you don't mind a quick jaunt to Alexandria, I'd recommend Restaurant Eve.

What I meant by "money": A five-course tasting menu at Eve is $85; at Marcel's, $110. Seven-course tasting menus are also available: $150 at Marcel's, not sure about Eve. Wine is additional.

Thanks, Alex.  I'll add Marcel's to the list.  She's actually eating at Restaurant Eve the night before I get up there!  We had lunch there during her last visit and fell in love with it!

#32 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, Alex.  I'll add Marcel's to the list.  She's actually eating at Restaurant Eve the night before I get up there!  We had lunch there during her last visit and fell in love with it!

Cool. I'll be visiting the area soon, and the Lickety Split lunch at Restaurant Eve is already on my way-too-long lunch list. There are similar bar/lounge lunch deals in the area -- for example, Proof and The Oval Room. Graffiato used to have a great lunch deal but I don't see it on their current web site.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times