Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Michelin Guide, Great Britain & Ireland 2013

Reference

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 david goodfellow

david goodfellow
  • participating member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Less than two weeks before this eagerly awaited guide is released. Chefs and restaurateurs have their fingers crossed hoping to gain recognition, as this really is the guide the industry respects above all others.

OK, who's getting their first star? Who's getting there second or third? Who will lose theirs?

For what its worth.

This is to start the ball rolling.

I have eaten quite a lot of Simon Rogan's food this year along with a very good selection of other one and two star chefs.
He is easily on par with all of the two star chefs and if he does not get his second star this year there is some kind of conspiricy going on.

Of the new stars Medlar is head and shoulders up there for recognition.

More to follow.

#2 MarkAli

MarkAli
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

next thursday!!!!
I would like to see
Paul Foster at Tuddenham Mill get one
Alyn Williams at the Westbury get one

as for 2 and 3 who knows

#3 david goodfellow

david goodfellow
  • participating member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yes. Agree on Alyn Williams had a very good meal there about three weeks ago.

Not tried Paul food yet but will do on Weds at Nutters in Rochdale at the Dingly Dell Pork extravaganza.

Cambridge is due another star is it not?

#4 MarkAli

MarkAli
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

haha not for me to say Dingley Dell at nutters sounds like a great night :wink:

#5 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

When Aumbry opened, it was touted as the place that was finally going to bring a star to Greater Manchester (yes, I know we'd all heard that before - several times).

Ii's taken a couple of years but I think it may now be ready.
John Hartley

#6 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

I was just thinking in the old days this would have been 12 pages long by now, and whether the results might even not be mentioned until publication!

Michelin appears to favour evolution over revolution. If they think the same way as the many starred chefs that have graced its dining room Hedone should be nailed on.

However as we have seen with many new individual restuarants over the years such as Anthony's, Fraiche, and L'Enclume, Michelin are in no rush to award stars to newly formed businesses with little in the way of history with the guide, hence many 'new' stars historically go to former star holders in new places, and 'new' places can wait a long time to become recognised, and a good clutch of stars will go places completely un-mentioned on food boards or blogs!

Sat Bains waited a long time for his second, and with Roganic and other expansion in Cartmel wouldn't be surprised if L'Enclume wasn't upgraded this year either, regardless of what's currently on the plate.

I hope the Star at Harome gets theirs back, and The Pheasant is an outside chance, I thought the Star was going to be the first 2* pub easily, which just goes to prove how little I know. (If that were in doubt.....)

Edited by Gary Marshall, 25 September 2012 - 07:17 AM.

you don't win friends with salad

#7 marcusjames

marcusjames
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I think Michelin have a real element of a petulant child about them. The problem a number of UK chefs had in recent years is GFG and AA recognised their talent long before Michelin and my theory is they don't like being beaten to the punch. Wareing and Sat are two prime cases in point who shot up the ranks of 'other' guides and then waited longer than they should for their second stars. There are a number of current chefs who now face the same probem (although the best example is perhaps to be found overseas at Noma), so it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

My money on major activity for this year is going to Scotland and Edinburgh. I wouldn't be surprised if Wishart and / or Kitchin get elevated and, as a total left field prediction, a possible third for Fairlie. Having eaten his food this year I think his style and execution is slap bang center of the target in terms of what Michelin favour. They threw a wild card at us last year in the form of the Hand & Flowers and I wouldn't put them past awarding the first three star north of the border as this years talking point. Not to mention the fact he's flown under the radar relative to his peers so could be, for want of a better word, their 'discovery'.

#8 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

Oh is it that time again already? Is this year the one where the cycle is shortened because they're bringing all the guides into sync?

Does Medlar have a star? If not they should be a good bet for *. They've now been running long enough to satisfy the consistency point.
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#9 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

think that was last year, i thought the same initially.
you don't win friends with salad

#10 andy83

andy83
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

L'enclume has 2 stars, via Michelin is showing new stars now

#11 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

this really is the guide the industry respects above all others.

Really?

I think most people are utterly bored. Industry and more importantly, customers.

#12 Scott

Scott
  • participating member
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

this really is the guide the industry respects above all others.

Really?

I think most people are utterly bored. Industry and more importantly, customers.

I don't. in fact I don't think there is any comparison.

Michelin is the gold standard that translates across language and country. you can argue whether it should be (and probably make a decent case), but not whether it is.

Edited by Scott, 27 September 2012 - 01:15 AM.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

#13 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Oooh interesting. Sketch is showing **, Alyn Williams *, Dabbous *, Medlar *, Hedone *

Just go to viamichelin restaurants and search London...

:-)

#14 MaLO

MaLO
  • participating member
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

Two for pennyhill park, one for Hinds head, one for Paul Ainsworth in Padstow.
Martin

#15 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

Doesn't look like any new ***s (wouldn't have expected any, but David Everitt-M must be getting bored of his ** by now!)

Looks like Greenhouse, Petersham Nurseries have kept their * despite changes of chef. Ditto North Road (although I think that change may have been late for this guide). No star for Anima - Mazzei must be getting a bit fed up by now!

Overall apart from maybe Sketch going to **s I don't feel there's any big surprises. Maybe I'd have thought they'd have waiting a year to macaron Dabbous and Alyn Williams, given they waited for Hedone and Medlar?

Amused by michelins unending ability to cock-up the release of the mich star release. Reminds me of our 4x100m relay team!

J

Edited by Jon Tseng, 27 September 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#16 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Looks like Sharrow Bay has lost theirs. I think that's the only change in the north west.
John Hartley

#17 marcusjames

marcusjames
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

L'Enclume finally showing 2 as well!

Did Trishna get starred last year, they may have picked one up otherwise.

And has Thackery's won theirs back?

Shame about Sharrow after so many years. That must be down to the whole Von Essen fall out.

#18 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

Correction - Sharrow Bay still has it. It didnt come up on my first search but looking for somewhere else it popped up (maybe it had been a site error that's now corrected). Reassuring.
John Hartley

#19 david goodfellow

david goodfellow
  • participating member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Fantastic news for Mark Poynton at Alimentum I thought it was about time he got one.

Michael Wignall at Pennyhill Park as well. Much much deserved, top chef indeed.

Simon Rogan just had to get his second. Long overdue but finally.

Hooray Michelin

#20 Scott

Scott
  • participating member
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

it looks like its now been taken down from via michelin.
A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

#21 david goodfellow

david goodfellow
  • participating member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Medlar.

It was just so right from the beginning. Great food from Joe. One of the best front of house in the business in David.

Its going to be rammed now. Good job they expanded upstairs.

#22 Harters

Harters
  • participating member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Seems to be still unclear if the website is entirely accurate:
http://www.catererse...rs-for-2013.htm
John Hartley

#23 Corinna Dunne

Corinna Dunne
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

Great celebrations in Dublin, Locks Brasserie won a Michelin star, it’s been confirmed their end. So thrilled for them, a brilliant team, wonderful room, food, and service. Interesting move on Michelin’s part. Locks is more Wild Honey than stuffy formal dining, so great to see this type of restaurant get an award in Ireland.

The Greenhouse must be disappointed. On my two visits there, I was hugely impressed with Mickael Viljanen’s cooking. Maybe it’s too soon… or maybe Michelin is getting a little bit less Michelin and looking for a more relaxed vibe at one star level.
Corinna Hardgrave aka "Corinna Dunne"
CorinaHardgrave Twitter

#24 Simon_S

Simon_S
  • participating member
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

I think in the case of the Greenhouse it really was just too soon. They only opened in, what, April? Can't imagine they were actually expecting one. If they're not in next year, that will be a surprise/disappointment I think.

I'm surprised at Lock's, I have to say. I liked the restaurant certainly on my one or two visits, but it was never on my Michelin radar. Must go back.

#25 John Ferris

John Ferris
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Simon/Corinna, interviewed Mickael a few months ago and he was not expecting one this year. The only shock would be if Greenhouse didn't get one next year.

#26 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

As Jay Rayner rightly says here, while he is pleased for some individual chefs, "Michelin definitions of what is good and worthy of acknowledgement just seems increasingly antiquated... Michelin no longer represents in any way a real portrait of what's going on in Britain."

Edited by liuzhou, 27 September 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#27 Corinna Dunne

Corinna Dunne
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Aniar in Galway got a star as well... the first one in Galway.

Again, a big change in Michelin approach to what merits a star in Ireland, Aniar is very casual. And shows that the foraging trend is not over yet.
CorinaHardgrave Twitter

#28 Corinna Dunne

Corinna Dunne
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Simon/Corinna, interviewed Mickael a few months ago and he was not expecting one this year. The only shock would be if Greenhouse didn't get one next year.

Yes, I know it's a bit soon for Mickael, but they know his food well from Gregan's Castle in Galway, and he's a partner in the Greenhouse with Eamonn O'Reilly, so not going to be gone any time soon. Would have been a nice bit of drama to award one so quickly, but then again, we're not short of great surprises this year. Faith restored somewhat.
CorinaHardgrave Twitter

#29 Chef Hermes Blog

Chef Hermes Blog
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

as I've been all over this story since it broke this morning, trawling the internet for various bits of research, I'll try to get you upto speed.
The new version (ie 2013 guide) was up for about 1-2hours then it reverted back to the old version (ie 2012) hence the confusion about places such as Sharrow Bay (which has indeed lost a star)

On the blog now is the full listing including the Michelin PDF, deletions, additions & comment, along with comparisions to other guides.

Incidentally, I spoke to one of the new 1* holders this morning @ The Raby Hunt, genuinely such a nice bloke & it was hard to reassure him that I wasn't a crank caller. He now has the full michelin PDF as proof.

Hope this clears up the situation

CHx

The Chef Hermes blog
Can be followed on Twitter: @chefhermes
Or Facebook:Chef Hermes group page

#30 Putty Man

Putty Man
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

As Jay Rayner rightly says here, while he is pleased for some individual chefs, "Michelin definitions of what is good and worthy of acknowledgement just seems increasingly antiquated... Michelin no longer represents in any way a real portrait of what's going on in Britain."

Putting the rightly aside, the subtext here, as with most of Rayner's food writing, is that the only "real portrait of what's going on in Britain" is whatever he says it is.

The problem with Michelin UK is that pays too much attention to what is going in the press, is hopelessly unsure about its own evaluative criteria, and does far too little inspecting these days. Essentially it is trading on a former reputation. Nevertheless, this is not to say that anyone else is doing the job any better either.

Edited by Putty Man, 27 September 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reference