Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Miniature eclairs

Dessert French

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stuartlikesstrudel

stuartlikesstrudel
  • participating member
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make some eclairs to take to an event with lots of people bringing food - because there'll be a variety of (tasty) stuff I'd like to make my eclairs really small so they're not too filling and people can try them (also I think they'll look cute).

Is there any reason I couldn't pipe out very skinny choux lines and hopefully end up with dainty little puffs? Ideally the final baked size would be about 8 - 10cm long and less than an inch wide... but i'm wondering if they may not expand properly or have a solid shell or something... anyone know?

Cheers,
Stuart

#2 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I can't think of any reason why that would be a problem.

#3 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

I actually make mine on the smaller side all the time. The great thing about choux pastry is it can be piped in all different sizes. You just have to be mindful of the baking time.

#4 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

It works just fine. I made them for an exam in school, and have served them on catering gigs. Just remember to not fill them until the last minute so they don't get soggy.

#5 stuartlikesstrudel

stuartlikesstrudel
  • participating member
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Great, thanks everyone :)
I'll post back with results in a few weeks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert, French