Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Need some Israeli couscous ideas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I've been craving Israeli couscous lately, but need some ideas for a balanced meal. I used to eat a lot of couscous, but usually plain - the good old carb-on-carb-on-carb college days!

I really enjoy pan-roasted chicken with shallot-vermouth sauce (from Cooks Illustrated) so that would probably work, with some veg added.

And if a recipe involves some sort of creamy tahini-parsley sauce - all the better.

Cheers!

#2 nikkib

nikkib
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

I'd cook a nice piece of fish with it and make the israeli couscous into a sort of tabbouleh with lots of parsley, mint, chopped tomato, onion and lemon juice and tehn serve with tahina over the top of the fish
"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

#3 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

Whatever the recipe, I always toast the couscous in a dry pan before cooking, it lends a little flavor and color.

I like it as a side with anything off the grilll, particularly lamb or kabobs of any sort.

#4 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Pilaf-style: saute chopped onions, then add the couscous to brown a bit, then add the stock and a pinch of salt. Add some finely diced carrots about five minutes before it's done. Garnish with parsley. Serve with lamb burgers or kabobs dressed with a yogurt-tahini-parsley sauce.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#5 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'd cook a nice piece of fish with it and make the israeli couscous into a sort of tabbouleh with lots of parsley, mint, chopped tomato, onion and lemon juice and tehn serve with tahina over the top of the fish

Pilaf-style: saute chopped onions, then add the couscous to brown a bit, then add the stock and a pinch of salt. Add some finely diced carrots about five minutes before it's done. Garnish with parsley. Serve with lamb burgers or kabobs dressed with a yogurt-tahini-parsley sauce.

These both sound delicious, cheers!

#6 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

With poultry you might want to consider a sweet approach. Just add some dried fruit (raisins, currents, cherries, diced apricots, etc.) to it with your cooking liquid. Pine nuts or chopped walnuts nice addition to this slightly sweet version.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#7 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

If this looks good to you, I can translate the recipe-very simple to make
http://www.mako.co.i...6b136d11004.htm