Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Delicious salt pork

Charcuterie

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've recently started discovering the joys of salt pork. I was introduced to it from reading old novels, where they describe cooking beans with salt pork, or (in the Little House books) laying strips of salt pork over a rabbit roast. So far I have thrown some in while cooking beans or soup, and occasionally I fry up some small pieces to top a salad (or, yes, even snack on -bring on the pucker). I really like old-school ingredients like this, so I would like to learn more ways to use it.
Any ideas?

#2 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Bring them on... I made a batch a couple of months ago for baked beans, and have it frozen. Chowder would be an obvious idea...

#3 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm a big user of salt pork. Here are some favorites: for potatoes; for the best baked beans; for cakes, for this soup or this or this. Since I always have it around I use it instead of pancetta in pasta dishes, to cook with green beans, etc. It can be cooked crisp and served with a milk gravy for a real old New England dish.

#4 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

I'm a big user of salt pork. Here are some favorites: for potatoes; for the best baked beans; for cakes, for this soup or this or this. Since I always have it around I use it instead of pancetta in pasta dishes, to cook with green beans, etc. It can be cooked crisp and served with a milk gravy for a real old New England dish.

How is the pork cake? I have my great grandmother's recipe for pork cake (she was not a New Englander, however, but from Kansas with a Penn. Dutch background), but I've never had the courage and the salt pork at the same time.

#5 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Oh keep the ideas coming, my salt pork is finally ready to use! Rendering for fat in sweets is a cool idea.
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#6 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Wow, that grilled corn and chorizo soup sounds great, and pasta e fagioli is one of my absolute favorite dishes. And thanks for the background on salt pork.

#7 mskerr

mskerr
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Janeer - I've got your pasta e fagioli simmering away right now. The broth is delicious! Probably gonna let it sit overnight and serve it tomorrow. I've only made the Cooks Illustrated recipe until now, but I think using salt pork instead of pancetta adds a lot of flavor, as well as cutting some expense out. I did add a Parmesan rind though, a la Cooks Illustrated.
Next up: Scootin' Long the Shore.
Cheers for your recipes!

#8 Icanmakeit

Icanmakeit
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Lots of Asian recipes for pork belly, I have made my own bacon using internet recipes. Anything pork fat is good. Beans, soup etc.

#9 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

A huge +1 for janeer's baked beans linked above.

Nobody using it for chowder?

#10 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I use salt meat in white beans, red beans, green beans, corn soup, mustard greens, boiled potatoes, cabbage and it is delicious in a spaghetti sauce.

#11 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

on a more traditional front the dish Fish and Brewis would be naked without scrunchions( cubed rendered and fried salt pork)

http://en.wikipedia....Fish_and_brewis
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#12 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

I love using salt pork when cooking collard greens.

#13 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Just made a new batch of salt pork according to this recipe:

http://www.aliyaleek...made-salt-pork/

This dry brine method under heavy weights and changed every day for a week has produced some awesome looking results:

salt_pork.jpg

I have no doubt the flavor will be more concentrated and intense than the John Thorne wet brine method I was using before.

I do have one question: the recipe says to wrap in cheesecloth and store in fridge for a month. Should I enclose the cheesecloth in plastic wrap, or is the point of the cheesecloth to dry the meat out further?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charcuterie