Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

Breakfast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
394 replies to this topic

#31 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Very nice Bruce.

Xilimmns, did you just compress the Peaches or did you cook them as well?

Kay, I can identify with your dog as my face resembles hers when I read this thread :raz:

#32 Xilimmns

Xilimmns
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Xilimmns, did you just compress the Peaches or did you cook them as well?

I actually compressed and cooked them for 15 minutes at 73C. Next time I will cook a bit more hoping to extract a little more of the juices that I can use as a sauce for the french toast. Since these were quite firm peaches the cooking time softened them nicely.

#33 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

The first strawberries of the season are in here in Carlsbad.

Strawberries are already coming in!? It's my favorite food!
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#34 Stefferdoos

Stefferdoos
  • general member
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

The first strawberries of the season are in here in Carlsbad.

Strawberries are already coming in!? It's my favorite food!

I was a bit surprised too. Almost a month earlier than last year. Probably because winter was so much sunnier than it was last year.

#35 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

percyn – love the looks of your Mexican eggs Benedict!

Xilimmns – gorgeous peaches! I’m not sure those would have made it to the waffles in my house!

kayb – I make cornbread waffles for pulled pork, but never thought to put an egg on top. Great idea. And those sweet puggie eyes :wub: !

Saturday breakfast:
Posted Image
Eggs, biscuits, potato pancakes and canned corned beef. Canned corned beef is one of my guilty pleasures, leftover from childhood. What can I say, I love the stuff.

#36 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Kim, I love canned corned beef too, but it does not compare to a housemade version.

Today I had Deviled Eggs w/Anchovies and Capers.

DSCN0220.JPG

#37 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

percyn – no, you are right – the canned corned beef is in no way comparable to the real stuff. But, if you don’t even really think of it as corned beef, it’s pretty good :wink: !

Breakfast this morning:
Posted Image
Baked eggs with Cheddar, bacon and chives and Benton’s bacon. I overcooked the eggs (they took much less time than usual :angry: ) but they still tasted great. Such an easy dish to make. And it’s a great one when you have company, because you can get your mise all done and just pop them in the oven on a tray when you are ready to eat.

#38 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

An example of a typical breakfast.

Unsweetened black coffee, nice goat's cheese (Holy Goat La Luna), olives and spelling tests.

Posted Image

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 16 February 2012 - 03:51 AM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#39 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Chris,

Love the homework in the corner. Looks like my table!
PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#40 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Freshly made salmon and tuna nigiri, black coffee. Breakfast for a fragile educator on a Friday.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#41 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Pulled pork omelet with feta cheese . . .

Posted Image

. . . with a little of this, grown and made by a co-worker

Posted Image

#42 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Oooh. I WANT that chile sauce.
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#43 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Oooh. I WANT that chile sauce.

The sauce is good stuff. I’ll let the proprietor know that he may be missing a market segment. :smile:

Parsi soft-scrambled eggs on toast – with ghee-fried onions, garlic-ginger paste, Thai bird chiles, and cilantro. Plates were licked, and licked clean.

Posted Image

#44 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Parsi soft-scrambled eggs on toast – with ghee-fried onions, garlic-ginger paste, Thai bird chiles, and cilantro. Plates were licked, and licked clean.

Ahhh... Lasan Nu Edu (Garlic Eggs). Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

#45 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

percyn – Recipe adapted from My Bombay Kitchen (with considerable inspiration from your luscious soft-scrambled eggs).

I have yet to see ramps around here, but I will keep an eye out at the spring farmer’s markets. Thanks for the tip.

I have to ask - was your uncle making the "6-7 other things" himself? If so, he was far more energetic in the morning than I am. :laugh:

#46 threestars

threestars
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

Wow! I love bacon and egg! I made this yesterday for my breakfast:

Posted Image
Spicy Stir-fry Pancit Canton with Tuna :)

#47 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Clams with home-made bacon:

Posted Image

with buttered toast. Garlic, parsley, lemon juice. And a splash of water.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#48 Ms. Foodie

Ms. Foodie
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

mm84321,
Good to see you on this thread. What kind of egg is that? Looks like a custard or bisque.

More Fried Egg - this time with Chorizo and Hollandaise on an English Muffin. Sort of like a Mexican Eggs Benedict.

Breakfast Burrito - Chorizo, Scrambled Eggs, Salsa, Hot Sauce

love all of your eggs breakfast recipes! but your breakfast Burrito looks REALLY good! and I'm not a burrito type of person.

yum!

Edited by heidih, 25 February 2012 - 11:01 AM.
Fix quote

#49 Ms. Foodie

Ms. Foodie
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

That looks really good!! I love clams in all forms, so this is something I'd love to incorporate in my cooking

#50 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

percyn – Recipe adapted from My Bombay Kitchen (with considerable inspiration from your luscious soft-scrambled eggs).

I have yet to see ramps around here, but I will keep an eye out at the spring farmer’s markets. Thanks for the tip.

I have to ask - was your uncle making the "6-7 other things" himself? If so, he was far more energetic in the morning than I am. :laugh:

Ahh...my Bombay Kitchen is a fine book....and thanks for the compliment.

My grandfather's brother was a bachelor who lived a few buildings away, so he would stop by around 9am by when the servants and women of the family would have made him these eggs, roti, toasts, butter, jam, fresh cream, tea, papads. As kids we used to make fun of that, but now I see he was just another person who loved his breakfast...like me :wink:

Edited by percyn, 25 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#51 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Very nice Blether.

Ms. Foodie, welcome to eGullet and this thread!

Catching up on my posts...

Scrambled Eggs w/Sichuan Shredded Beef
DSCN0286.JPG

Maple Sausage and Fried Egg
DSCN0285.JPG

French Toasts, Pork Hash and Fried Egg
DSCN0274.JPG

Pork Hash and Fried Egg
DSCN0256.JPG

#52 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

percyn – sounds like you inherited your love of breakfast, and clearly you continue to do the family tradition proud.

Clean-out-the-fridge chipotle shrimp with eggs. I made a pot of sauce with chipotle in adobo, roasted garlic, tomato, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Most of the sauce went into the fridge for future use, but I cooked chopped-up shrimp in the remaining sauce, scrambled in a couple of eggs, and then added half-and-half and mayo to enrich the sauce and temper the fire.

Topped the shrimp-egg concoction with chipotle guacamole and a dollop of the chipotle sauce.

Posted Image

#53 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Seriously, Percyn is a breakfast master.
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#54 Xilimmns

Xilimmns
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Crispy Fried White Polenta with 1h SV Eggs

Posted Image

#55 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

I wanted a BLT. But I have celiac disease, having recently been diagnosed, and can't eat the sourdough bread. And I didn't have any lettuce. But I had good locally-greenhouse-raised tomatos. So I sliced one thick, slathered with Hellman's mayo, added a couple strips of bacon, diced, and an over-easy egg.

Voila
! A BTB! (Bacon Tomato Breakfast!)

004.JPG
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#56 Xilimmns

Xilimmns
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Dutch Baby - My wife's favorite breakfast :cool:

Attached Images

• photo-2.JPG

#57 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

percyn – your pork hash looks delicious!

Xilimmns – I love the idea of serving eggs over crispy polenta (or grits). I must try that sometime!

Kay – bacon, tomato and mayo is the best part of a BLT, anyway (I can always dispense with the lettuce)! That looks divine!

We had company this weekend – a sister and a niece. On Sunday, my parents came over for breakfast.
Posted Image
Scrambled eggs. Everyone is always bizarrely amazed at how long I take to scramble eggs. Then they remark on how moist and fluffy they are!

Posted Image
Benton’s bacon.

And a new take on Lois’ Best Coffee Cake:
Posted Image
This recipe is from Maggie. Now my go-to recipe for coffee cake – whether I’m serving it or gifting it, I have made it numerous times and it never fails. I’ve tried various toppings and additions (tiny wild blueberries and lemon zest were wonderful) and left it plain and either way, it is easy and elegant and special. This time, I decided to use up some peaches I had in the freezer. The night before, I roasted the peaches with some brown sugar until they were tender and gooey and pink and then refrigerated them. I topped the batter with them and baked. I think a hint of almond extract would have been perfect, but Momma is averse to almond flavor, so I left it out this time.

#58 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:
Posted Image
A very messy ham and Cheddar omelet with jalapenos and Shiracha.

#59 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Kim – that coffee cake looks great!

Slow-scrambled bricklayer’s eggs – with apologies to Diana Kennedy - toasted pasilla de Oaxaca and guajillo chiles, soaked, blended, and fried with white onion and garlic. Queso cotija and oregano added for flavor, and then garnished with more queso and onion.

Pasilla de Oaxaca are smoked like a chipotle, which adds a nice twist.

Posted Image

#60 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Kim, your gorgeous coffee cake shot prompted me to make one, also with peaches but I added some chopped crispy bacon.

It was extremely difficult to limit myself to one (smallish) square!
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast