Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

Breakfast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
394 replies to this topic

#361 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Wow! that looks delicious! I have not heard of disposable paper baking moulds before. any refs?

I used to live in CA and we had two persimmons trees while growing up. they work great in things like this. my mother made persimmons 'pudding' every fall.

I got these from Amazon. But I have also bought them from King Arthur Flour. And there is another suppliers but I can't remember the name of the vendor at the moment.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#362 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Breakfast! The most important meal of the the day - who could argue that after seeing all the deliciousness posted!

We were invited out to a friend's for supper last night. For dessert, she served Apple Bacon Cheddar Cheese Pie. I thought that would make a great idea for brunch. We had it with root beer ice-cream (all she had in the freezer), so that made it dessert, right? :wink:

apple bacon cheese pie 8124.jpg
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#363 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

. . . Apple Bacon Cheddar Cheese Pie. . . .

Sounds fantastic, Dejah - breakfast and dessert in one.

Every once in a while I crave pasta with cream sauce. Usually I make fettuccine Alfredo, but this morning I tried something new.

Fettucine al limone: Reduced cream, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and grated Parmesan. Lemony!

Posted Image

#364 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have been MIA for a while since I was in Dubai and later India in the last few months.

Many catch-up posts to come, but here is what I had for breakfast yesterday...

Fried Egg w/leftover Korean BBQ
IMG_2283.JPG

#365 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Soba – what a lovely, lovely breakfast! I’m making gougères for my Christmas eve party and I’m definitely going to do that with a few leftovers!

Kate – gorgeous sausage rolls. Please do not look at mine from Christmas morning when I post them :unsure: .

Deena - <thunk> your bread made me faint. Good GOD, that is incredible. I would give anything for a chunk of that right now!

Andie – beautiful apple cake! I really like those paper pans, too. Did the edges not get dry? I’d love to try them with some tube cake recipes that I have.

A recent breakfast for Mr. Kim:
Posted Image
Scrambled eggs with smoked ham, gruyere and Korean hot sauce

#366 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I wish I had a little private chef to cook me breakfast every morning.
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#367 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Scotty, if you cook them dinner, I'm betting they'd be happy to cook your breakfast!

#368 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Does the chef have to be little? :raz:

Couple catch-up posts...

Smoked Duck Breast w/Fried Egg
IMG_2144.JPG

Steak and Eggs w/Grilled Scallions and Garlic Confit
IMG_2218.JPG

#369 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Had some random black cod scraps so made a schmeer with smoked cod, roasted garlic and chives. The day starts strong.

Posted Image
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#370 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Scotty, how did you smoke the cod? Smoking gun or old school?

#371 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Crab and Spinach Eggs Benedict (skipped the Hollandaise)

IMG_2319.JPG

#372 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Old school smoke with some cherry wood. 175 for about 30 minutes. Enough to melt the fat, was still moist, I'm proud of my schmeer.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#373 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

When I eat breakfast, I generally like savory stuff. Once in a while I'll have something like "bacon & eggs" or variations thereof. Very rarely will I have bread or rolls or similar. Sweet things like "Danish pastries" and cinnamon rolls pass my lips *extremely* rarely. Croissants – yes, they're an exception, and almond croissants (if not plain) are nice. Otherwise, I tend to eat noodles (especially soupy noodles) or rice with savory accompaniments or stuff like "Yong Tau Foo" (Yum!) especially when I made a batch the day before...too much work to do it the same morning of the breakfast. :-) Or a nice bowl of "Bak Kut Teh", again usually leftovers from the day before. [In SE Asia I would have eaten things like this from vendors who *would* have made it that very morning, of course]

Here's a pic of some Yong Tau Foo I had for breakfast not long ago. (The soup was the poaching stock with Napa cabbage ("Wong Nga Pak"); the dipping sauce was Lingham's Hot Sauce.)

DSCN7111a_1k.jpg

#374 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Home made bread, shop bought butter, boiled duck egg and crab roe. My typical breakfast along with a mug of industrial strength coffee.

Posted Image

#375 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Simple cabbage & chicken soup.
Water, chicken thighs w/ fatty skin on, salt, simmer, chopped white cabbage, simmer. That's it.
Often plain-and-simple hits the spot.

Edited by huiray, 15 December 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#376 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Omelet with ham and blue cheese; toasted cheese bagel with butter and more blue cheese

Posted Image

#377 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Found some great looking Mitake and Oyster mushrooms, so I made these over 3 days...

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

#378 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

What are those little red sausages. I bet they are delicious!

#379 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

homemade peameal bacon , sunnyside up egg toast and coffee.
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#380 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Vienna-type sausages? They *look* like them... :-)

#381 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

@percyn - are those maitake (a.k.a. "hen of the wood") mushrooms something you get locally grown, frequently or otherwise?

I love them and a local grower used to have at a certain local Farmers' Market them but they proved to be too much bother (and was a touch-and-go financial proposition) so they gave it up - and I have haven't had really fresh stuff since then.

#382 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

@liuzhou:
That black "crab roe" - I am assuming this is "stained"/dyed form of normal crab roe? I've always thought that crab roe other than orange-ish in color were artificially colored as I don't know of crab species that produce black roe - but perhaps you could fill me in? (A quick Google & internet search turned up nothing certain)

#383 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

@liuzhou:
That black "crab roe" - I am assuming this is "stained"/dyed form of normal crab roe? I've always thought that crab roe other than orange-ish in color were artificially colored as I don't know of crab species that produce black roe - but perhaps you could fill me in? (A quick Google & internet search turned up nothing certain)

Indeed it is dyed. It comes in various colours - black - red - yelllow. Same as the more common lumpfish roe is dyed.

Here is a variation on that breakfast:

Posted Image

Edited by liuzhou, 15 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#384 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

What are those little red sausages. I bet they are delicious!

They are called Litl' Smokies. These were Turkey but they also make beef and even ones stuffed with cheese. They are probably not that good for you but pack a punch of flavor - http://www.hillshire...-l-smokies.aspx

#385 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

@percyn - are those maitake (a.k.a. "hen of the wood") mushrooms something you get locally grown, frequently or otherwise?

I love them and a local grower used to have at a certain local Farmers' Market them but they proved to be too much bother (and was a touch-and-go financial proposition) so they gave it up - and I have haven't had really fresh stuff since then.

Yes they are.

I am lucky to live not too far from a place that claims to be the "Mushroom Capital of the world", so I can generally find most varieties cultivated in the US. These are still a little rare to find and I love the taste. Wish we could get the wide varities they get in France.

I buy them direct from the mushroom farmers when I can, otherwise rely on our local Wegmans to carry these, along with black truffles ;-)

#386 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

What lovely breakfasts you all have! I try not to read the breakfast thread until later in the day. Otherwise I’m in the kitchen frying bacon and eggs and rummaging in the freezer for biscuits. My new diet is working quite well (10+ lb. loss) and this thread, oddly enough, is the one that will bust it. Anyway, a quick dive into the thread to post Mr. Kim’s breakfast from yesterday:
Posted Image
ET bagel with Benton’s bacon, fried egg and gruyere.

#387 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Scrambled eggs
Posted Image

#388 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure I'm looking at...scrambled...eggs...?

#389 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

if its from mm there has to be some truffles in there somewhere!

#390 percyn

percyn
  • society donor
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Max, was that egg cooked at 75 C?

Breakfast with a view - Ackee and Saltfish in Jamaica where the temp is 82F.
IMG_2366.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast