Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

Breakfast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
394 replies to this topic

#331 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Huevos rancheros with bay scallops and queso fresco

Posted Image

#332 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

It seems delicious! I like this type of breakfast.

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#333 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thank you, rod rock!

A little fuel before cleaning up after the storm.

Scallop fried rice: Bay scallops fried with garlic and dark soy; leftover rice, crab paste, roasted chile paste, fish sauce, and an egg.

Posted Image

#334 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Bruce - can you describe the crab paste product? Sounds like something to try. I like the dark bits you got - well seasoned wok?

#335 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Bruce - can you describe the crab paste product? Sounds like something to try.

Product is called "crab paste in soya bean oil". Normally one would use it in crab fried rice, but scallop fried rice seemed close enough.

I like the dark bits you got - well seasoned wok?

A very well seasoned cast iron wok. Seasoning would always peel off when I used a carbon steel wok, but I can beat on a cast iron wok with metal implements without any visible effect.

Full disclosure - black bits were probably more a result of sugar in the dark soy sauce combined with inattention. :blush:

#336 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Robirdstx – love the idea of putting fried eggs on top of leftover Mexican – I need to remember that next time!

Bruce – gorgeous fried green tomatoes. Don’t cry over the missed ripe tomatoes – green ones are just as glorious!

Christine – HI! Nice to ‘see’ you! I think that your ‘breakfast’ sounds great. Which sauce was that exactly?

Posted Image
Eggs, Neese’s NC sausage, biscuits and chips. The eggs were cooked using James’ method, but it doesn’t look like it because that sausage fat was HOT!

#337 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Wow! In dying here! just looking at your Breakfast shot my CHOL. up 100 points but in a very good way!

Id like a few more details on those eggs. I love the crispy edges! My sister sends me N's smoked breakfast links every year and I SV them!

for me Id sub on the chips with Tater Tots!

#338 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Kim – Nice to see you back. Great-looking biscuits!

The best breakfast starts with yesterday’s dinner.

Fried egg, Sriracha, leftover Chiang Mai curry and rice.

Posted Image

#339 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

rotuts – I use tater tots a LOT with breakfast! The eggs are really easy – you can use oil or an oil/butter mix or just the grease left from cooking bacon or sausage. The bacon/sausage grease is decidedly better, of course. To get the crispy edges you need to get the fat very hot before you put the eggs in – if you do bacon or sausage, put the eggs in right after taking the meat out of the pan. So you dump the eggs in – the whites will bubble up. At this point you just tilt the pan slightly and use a spatula to move the grease over the top of the eggs. You’ll need to do it on all sides and turn the pan a bit. Try to splash mostly the whites and not the yolk or the yolk gets too hard. I’m probably making this more complicated than it needs to be. It’s a really easy, simple method. Maybe James could chime in – his explanation was much better than mine!

Bruce – thank you! It's really good to be back. Those biscuits are frozen ones – Mary B’s. I’m planning on using frozen biscuits for my revised Christmas Eve celebration and they were a test. Very good – and little tea biscuit sized which I like for a party. Mr. Kim would swoon over that breakfast!

#340 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

Home fries with poached egg:
DSCN0220.jpg

Obligatory broken yolk:
DSCN0222.jpg

The yolk came out a tad firmer than I might have liked, but I loathe runny whites so am willing to risk a slightly firm yolk.
"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."
-Harriet M. Welsch

Visit my food blog! http://goodformeblog.blogspot.com/

#341 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I like this type of easy breakfast but i like to add some salad beside this :)

Franchise Takeaway

#342 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Leftover grilled salmon with scrambled eggs. Jarlsberg cheese, shallots, S&P, dusting of cayenne, toasted potato bread

Posted Image

Edited by C. sapidus, 15 November 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#343 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Steel cut oats with maple syrup, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and ground flax seed.

DSCN0265.jpg
-Harriet M. Welsch

#344 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

No pics. But a three-egg frittata with leftovers as filling: Sautéed cabbage, carrots, onions and diced kielbasa. Israeli couscous, and the fridge is cleared of the leftover bits in containers! A bit of diced sharp cheddar and Parmesan. A light sprinkling of home-made salsa. Slow-cooked nearly as low as possible for 20 minutes and then under the broiler to set the top.

Cooked perfectly, moist and tender sliding out of the pan onto the warmed plate with very little encouragement. I'd like to have the bottom less colored and crisped- perhaps next time just a couple minutes on the burner and the rest in the oven to bake pie-like?

#345 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

005-001.JPG
Scrambled egg "mini-sandwiches" -- shallot-herb gougères, scrambled eggs, capers.

#346 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

A family favourite for brunch: Grilled cheese French toast. Would have been even better with cumin Gouda, but made do with Kraft Sharp Cheddar Singles...Gooey goodness...Eaten with maple syrup. :wub:

Grilled cheese French toast 8009.jpg
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#347 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

See that! Nice and easy breakfast for good morning from Dejah :)

Franchise Takeaway

#348 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

See that! Nice and easy breakfast for good morning from Dejah :)

Inspired I made this yesterday. A new take on and a marriage of two traditional mainstays. I used straight sharp cheddar though. This is comfort food at its finest!

#349 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hangover breakfast of champions..a double-dose bloody mary and a sausage roll. My exec assistant is an insane pork-hound (not a euphemism) and he tells me this is Sydney's top SR. I have been guarding this baby in the work fridge for a day and a half, just waiting for the right moment to bring it home and ravage it.

photo-3.JPG

#350 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Continuing my campaign to harden my arteries: eggs, fried in duck fat and piled onto a tortilla with tomato habanero salsa, and fried morcilla (black pudding). The tortilla was wholewheat, OK?!

photo-6.JPG

Followed by a very strong Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk.

#351 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Followed by a very strong Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk.

You had me convinced already, but that sealed the deal. :smile:

#352 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

A great joy of the Thanksgiving season:
Leftover pie for breakfast.

DSCN0320.jpg
-Harriet M. Welsch

#353 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I made this challah, with chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a whole lot of flaky salt. And compared to pan au chocolate or brioche, we can pretend it's healthy.

Posted Image

It was amazing melty-warm from the oven, but leftovers made an equally good breakfast.

#354 pastameshugana

pastameshugana
  • society donor
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I made this challah, with chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a whole lot of flaky salt. And compared to pan au chocolate or brioche, we can pretend it's healthy.

Posted Image

It was amazing melty-warm from the oven, but leftovers made an equally good breakfast.

That is a thing of beauty...
PastaMeshugana
"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."
"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father
My eG Food Blog (2011)

#355 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Oh man, chocolate salted challah, sign me up!

Sometimes bacon, eggs and coffee are just what you need.

Posted Image
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#356 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Haha i had that one this morning ScottyBoy but i didn't take the picture. Yogurt goes nice with bacon and eggs.

Franchise Takeaway

#357 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

For Sunday brunch I made this Apple Cake from the recipe Teddie's Apple Cake
I used one of the disposable paper baking moulds, not a tube pan so the baking time took an additional 35 minutes to get the center done to 200° F. (I use temp to make sure centers are done.)

Teddie's Apple Cake.JPG

Teddie's Apple Cake2.JPG

This recipe is extremely versatile. I only had two small apples so used a pear (d'Anjou) to top up the measure.

I plan on making it again with some dried fruits and some candied ginger. A friend has suggested I try using persimmon and almonds - two flavors she swears go well together.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#358 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Wow! that looks delicious! I have not heard of disposable paper baking moulds before. any refs?

I used to live in CA and we had two persimmons trees while growing up. they work great in things like this. my mother made persimmons 'pudding' every fall.

#359 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

For Sunday brunch I made this Apple Cake from the recipe Teddie's Apple Cake
I used one of the disposable paper baking moulds, not a tube pan so the baking time took an additional 35 minutes to get the center done to 200° F. (I use temp to make sure centers are done.)

Teddie's Apple Cake.JPG

Teddie's Apple Cake2.JPG

This recipe is extremely versatile. I only had two small apples so used a pear (d'Anjou) to top up the
I plan on making it again with some dried fruits and some candied ginger. A friend has suggested I try using persimmon and almonds - two flavors she swears go well together.

This looks delicious. I imagine figs would work also?

Edited by Creola, 28 November 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#360 Creola

Creola
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Posted Image

Beautiful!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast