Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Domestic sheep's milk ricotta online: anyone tried it?

Italian

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maureen B. Fant

Maureen B. Fant
  • participating member
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'm trying to find North American sources for ingredients in recipes I'm writing. Found lots of anchovies and capers and other Italian imports, which is great, but now I'm down to the fresh stuff. There are sheep farms making ricotta, but my one experience, a few years ago in the Hudson Valley (NY state), was a bust. It was hard and dry. What we have in Rome is creamy and dreamy and you have to drain it overnight before cooking with it.

www.dairysheepfarm.com sells sheep's milk ricotta, but I'd love an objective description if anyone has tried it.

Any other ideas on this? Even cow's milk ricotta would do if it was nice and creamy.

Many thanks!
Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

It's really very easy to make at home:
http://www.seriousea...e-food-lab.html

#3 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Maureen, the closest thing I've found to "real" Italian ricotta comes from Dancing Ewe Farms in NY. http://www.dancingewe.com/
I first tasted it at Domenica, the John Besh/Alon Shaya restaurant in New Orleans, and it was so good, I begged the kitchen to sell me a pint to take home. Very very creamy, with the almost fluffy, light texture of the real thing. My idea of the perfect breakfast is a good wild yeast bread, toasted & spread with ricotta and honey.
Cheers, Celeste U

#4 Maureen B. Fant

Maureen B. Fant
  • participating member
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Thank you both for two extremely useful leads.
Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

#5 Sally-chan

Sally-chan
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

In Minnesota during the summer, Sheperd's Way Farms, offer a wonderful sheep's milk ricotta that they sell at the farmer's market. On the days they have it, it sells out quickly.

Additionally, my cheese shop just started offering a sheep's milk ricotta from Bellwether farms, but I've not had a chance to try it yet.

#6 Maureen B. Fant

Maureen B. Fant
  • participating member
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Thank you. The ideal ricotta should be very creamy and require draining overnight and have a very definite ovine taste. Please post when you taste yours.
Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian