Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3000 replies to this topic

#2881 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Scotty – your gut bomb looks so fabulous!

Bruce – thanks for the directions to the recipe. That is going to be a ‘soon after the holidays’ meal!

Dcarch – drooling and grinning at the same time can cause problems. You make me do that all the time!

Soba – everything is beautiful, of course, but those cockles really look fantastic.

Dinner last night:
Posted Image
As you can see, Mr. Holloway and basquecook, you inspired me. I just HAD to have them. I’ve found that while I’ve gotten decent fish and shrimp at regular grocery stores, for mussels it pays to go to either a real fish shop or WF or Fresh Market. I ended up at WF. The young lady picked each one out for me, tossing any that were open (only a couple). They were delicious – sweet and meaty and NO skunkiness. And still only $2.99/lb.

well, thats good to know.. In terms of mussels, most time, even at supermarkets, they come in those little two pound sacks. If they are in those sacks, most places keep the fish tags on the netting. So, you can quickly glance and see at the date they were pulled from the water. I live next door to a pretty shady supermarket. I have literally watched the same bag of mussels sit on ice for two weeks. Last night, I noticed the tag made the mussels only 2 days out of the water.. that was impressive!

Last night, I was looking for yucon gold potatoes and found, all we the store had was Eastern Potatoes. There were perhaps many other types of starchy vegetables from Yucca to Malanga put, one damn potato.

But 2.99 is not a terrible price, especially for wholefoods. In Chinatown NYC, it's 2 bucks a pound.

Your mussels look beautiful.

#2882 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

@ScottyBoy: Is real Kobe beef available in your area yet (and if so how much is it)?

I haven't looked into it. Snake River Farms is fatty and delicious American wagyu. Actually the high end kobe gets a little too fatty for my tastes.

Thanks.I had a look at their website. (Longing looks) Hmm, I see they refer to it as American Wagyu (Kobe) beef in part. Of course, we know that the suggestion of this beef (American Wagyu) being Kobe beef would be incorrect. Certainly actual Kobe was allowed back into the US only recently, a few months ago. (Actual Japanese Kobe available now)

Edited by huiray, 21 December 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#2883 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Wild turbot
Posted Image
Turbot roasted with bone marrow, smoked potato/truffle salad
Posted Image

#2884 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Really pretty!

#2885 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

How did you end up smoking the potato?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#2886 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Wow that Turbot + is the best thing Ive seen in quite a while, and there has been some fantastic stuff here.

I can imagine how delicious the whole plate was!

#2887 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

How did you end up smoking the potato?

I put the sawdust on some aluminum foil in the bottom of an old saucepan, used a blowtorch to get it going, then left it on a medium-high heat. I placed another layer of aluminum foil on top, which I poked some holes in, and I put the potatoes in a steamer basket, covered everything with aluminum foil, and then smoked them like that. They only needed 4 minutes. It actually worked pretty well.

#2888 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

Wow that Turbot + is the best thing Ive seen in quite a while, and there has been some fantastic stuff here.

I can imagine how delicious the whole plate was!

Thanks, rotuts. It is an incredible fish. I think cooking it on the bone is really the best way. I didn't explain, but it is roasted in the oven in salted butter with a few split marrow bones. you baste the turbot with the rendered marrow as it cooks. The sauce is a veal jus with a little olive oil, tarragon, and the barbes of the turbot, which are the gelatinous muscles distributed along the skirt of the fish (the Japanese call them engawa). They are great little bursts of flavor. The potatoes are cooked in an aromatic chicken stock (garlic, thyme, bay) smoked with beechwood, layered with sliced truffle, and then seasoned with a walnut oil vinaigrette and slices of fresh onions. The marrow which cooks with the fish is served alongside the fish. Anyway, I really enjoyed this dish. It's a great marriage of the earth and the sea.

#2889 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Its Best Ever ( :cool: ) For Sure. I only had Turbot once in England. Delicious as ( ? ) pretty pricey now if you can find it!

good for you!

Id gobble that whole plate right up! :biggrin:

#2890 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

034-001.JPG
Penne con cavolfiore e funghi (penne with cauliflower and mushrooms)

Doable in about 30 minutes, including prep time.

Chop cauliflower finely, cook in the same pot with some dried pasta, some cold water and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for about 10 minutes or until penne is al dente. Meanwhile add sliced onion and mushrooms to a pan with some olive oil. Add a pinch of peperoncini flakes. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden brown. A pinch of sea salt added towards the end can help hurry things along. Drain the pasta mixture, reserving about 1 cup pasta cooking water. Add the pasta and cauliflower to the pan, and let that cook for 2-3 minutes. If the pasta seems too dry, add pasta cooking water to the pan, tablespoon by tablespoon or until the pasta is sufficiently moistened according to your liking. Taste for salt and pepper, stir in chopped Italian parsley and serve at once.

#2891 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

That turbot is ridiculous.

Edited by ScottyBoy, 22 December 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2892 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Have folks here had fried black pomfret? :wink:

#2893 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Trout meuniere seasoned with S&P, dredged in flour, and finished with parsley, lemon juice, and butter

Posted Image

Braised potatoes with garlic and bay leaves[b] and [b]”world’s best” braised cabbage (with carrots, onions, chicken stock, S&P, and Aleppo chile flakes, finished with sherry vinegar)

Posted Image

#2894 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image
Turbot with black truffle and celery
Posted Image

#2895 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Dinner last night:
Posted Image
As you can see, Mr. Holloway and basquecook, you inspired me. I just HAD to have them. I’ve found that while I’ve gotten decent fish and shrimp at regular grocery stores, for mussels it pays to go to either a real fish shop or WF or Fresh Market. I ended up at WF. The young lady picked each one out for me, tossing any that were open (only a couple). They were delicious – sweet and meaty and NO skunkiness. And still only $2.99/lb.

Looks amazing Kim, now I am craving them again :laugh: :smile:

Shane

#2896 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Cooked this up and took it in for the guys at work
17 lb shoulder
Posted Image

After 25 hrs
Posted Image

Such an easy cook, but maybe the best so far :smile:

Shane

#2897 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Soba's pasta with lentils:

lentils.jpg

pasta_with_lentils.jpg

#2898 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Mr. H: beautiful ! any pics of it cut up?

#2899 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi Rotuts
Sorry no finish pics.
This was wrapped in foil and put in a cooler with towels
for 5 hrs before I was able to serve it.
Pulled apart super easy, still very moist and hot as heck :laugh:

Shane

#2900 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

That truffle just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Wonderful dish.

I can work out the truffle bits, what are the white/clear circles? Are they finely sliced radish? Did you vaccum seal the fish with the covering and cook it sous vide as Daniel Humm does with his zucchini scaled turbot?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#2901 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Very intrigued by the pasta with lentils... Patrick or Soba, can you share a recipe? (or is there link to it somewhere?)

#2902 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I can work out the truffle bits, what are the white/clear circles?

Looking like celery root to me. I think he has his own truffle hunting dog :cool:
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2903 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Emily, I used Soba's instructions here:

http://forums.egulle...19#entry1902219

I added a little lard to the oil for the battuto. I don't think I ever got it to soften to Soba's jam-like consistency, despite cooking it for 90 minutes. I triangulated a little with this Lidia Bastianich recipe:

http://lidiasitaly.c...ipes/detail/971

#2904 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

That truffle just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Wonderful dish.

I can work out the truffle bits, what are the white/clear circles? Are they finely sliced radish? Did you vaccum seal the fish with the covering and cook it sous vide as Daniel Humm does with his zucchini scaled turbot?

Thanks. Those are tapioca pearls, along with celery, celery root, and truffle. That is how I did it: basically you take a fillet, make an incision on the bone side to create a pocket which you fill with a mousse made from some of the turbot trim and chopped truffle, close it up, turn it over, make the scales, then let it set in the fridge. Then, season, brush with softened butter, vacuum seal and cook sous vide. The recipe is in the EMP book, but I believe it originally comes from Joel Robuchon. It's delicious.

Tonight I finished up the last of the turbot with Heston's recipe for fish and chips. It was rather crunchy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2905 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Beautiful turbot in both preparations mm.

Here is sali jardaloo murgi, with dal on the side.

sali_jardaloo_murghi.jpg

dal.jpg

sali_jardaloo_murghi_2.jpg

Edited by patrickamory, 23 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#2906 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Very intrigued by the pasta with lentils... Patrick or Soba, can you share a recipe? (or is there link to it somewhere?)

A little different, but here is my recipe for pasta with lentils if the combination appeals to you.

#2907 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

janeer, I'm going to give yours a try next. I was tempted to add pork to Soba's recipe, but wanted to experience just pure lentil earth first.

#2908 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hainanese Chicken Rice.

• Chicken poached w/ green onions (in cavity), ginger and salt. Served w/ cucumbers, green onions, cilantro, splashed w/ light soy sauce flashed in pan w/ hot oil.
• Bowl of Napa cabbage (separately) cooked in the poaching stock.
• Rice cooked w/ the poaching stock w/ lots of chicken fat skimmed off the stock.
• Grated ginger, chopped green onions, salt & hot oil sauce.
• Hot sauce (Lingham's) w/ fresh lime juice and a bit of rice vinegar added.

DSCN7340a_1k.jpg

#2909 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

Yummm this is one of the perfect dinners from Huiray, very good!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#2910 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Rod rock, too kind. Thanks.