Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Niu Rou Juan Bing Chinese Beef Roll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ader1

Ader1
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I've been trying to find a recipe for this snack on the web without success. Would anybody have a recipe or any pointers? Thank you.

There's a photo of some in the following link:

http://christine-wei...otsticker-gyoza

Edited by Ader1, 22 August 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#2 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Try searching for jian bing. I found a bunch of recipes for the pancake and some youtube videos.

#3 Ader1

Ader1
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thank you Lisa. I take a look.

#4 Will

Will
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Try searching for jian bing. I found a bunch of recipes for the pancake and some youtube videos.

I think jianbing (煎饼) is something else.

I think the outside of niurou juan bing is cong you bing (scallion pancake - the flakier type -- should be lots of recipes for different styles of this online), and then there's usually suan cai, cilantro, and marinated beef inside. Usually, I think people eat these at restaurants, since it's a lot of trouble to make at home, especially if you make everything from scratch (you can buy pretty decent frozen cong you bing and suan cai at good Chinese markets, though).

With the disclaimer that I've never eaten or made this dish (I'm a vegetarian), I found at least one recipe in English by doing a quick web search; there are probably some more out there.
http://kennys-eats.b...n-pancakes.html

Edited by Will, 11 September 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#5 Ader1

Ader1
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks Will. That looks great and in fact, I wanted a recipe for the beef more than anything to try out which this guy Kenny provides. :-)