Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Looking for a couple ingredient driven reference books

Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 awakened chef

awakened chef
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

I know this sounds corny and kind of borderline poser, but i am reading Life, on the LIne and Chef Grant Achatz talked about acouple cookbooks he likes to reference ingredients from while brainstorming an idea. I would love to know what books are in his "go to" repetoire. thanks.
"Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome."

#2 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

I bet he uses Cook's Thesaurus.

#3 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

Possibly " Spices of the World "-- :biggrin: pretty interesting , by McCormick and Company!!
Its good to have Morels

#4 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

I would strongly recommend The Flavor Bible for that role.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#5 awakened chef

awakened chef
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

thank you for your replies
"Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome."

#6 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dornenburg and Page's Culinary Artistry has always been my go-to in that respect... I had a look at the Flavour Bible when it came out but didn't think it added much to the earlier work.

Perhaps look at The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit as another entry in that genre?

Gray Kunz also wrote a book a few years back called The Elements of Taste which also tried to systemise an approach to flavour combinations, although I'm not sure they quite succeed (IMHO their categories were a little too broad).

All the best

J
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#7 rgruby

rgruby
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Dornenburg and Page's Culinary Artistry has always been my go-to in that respect... I had a look at the Flavour Bible when it came out but didn't think it added much to the earlier work.

Perhaps look at The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit as another entry in that genre?

Gray Kunz also wrote a book a few years back called The Elements of Taste which also tried to systemise an approach to flavour combinations, although I'm not sure they quite succeed (IMHO their categories were a little too broad).

All the best

J

There's a few more books that I'm aware of that delve into the whys of flavor pairing a bit. Taste by Sybil Kapoor, Taste + Flavor by Tom Kime (I think the Kime book has different titles depending where it was published) and Flavor by Rocco Dispirito.

Something like Starting with ingredients by Aliza Green might also be something worth checking out.

I have two or three books that are organized by month or season, rather than mains, apps etc. That could be another way to get some ideas about what is in season and goes together.

Cheers,
Geoff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Reference