Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Confused about translations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I am confused about the the meaning of "oolong" . I once read that it meant "bird and dragon" but now i am told, in another source, that it means "black dragon". Is either correct? Are both wrong? Are both right? HELP!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#2 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

"Oolong is sometimes written as Wulong but the meaning is the same: Oo (Wu) means Black and Long means Dragon."

That fits my recollections (vague) about it.

Quote is from this web site (found on google, not one I've done business with).

#3 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

"Oolong is sometimes written as Wulong but the meaning is the same: Oo (Wu) means Black and Long means Dragon."

That fits my recollections (vague) about it.

Quote is from this web site (found on google, not one I've done business with).

Thanks!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)