Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cook-Off 60: Banh Mi

Bread Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Andrea Nguyen has a new cookbook, The Banh Mi Handbook.  Lots of cook-off worthy recipes there, most likely. I'm considering it...

Thanks for the heads up on this. Her books are usually excellent.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#92 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. Looking forward to receiving it!

Edited by ElsieD, 09 July 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#93 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

A great idea from Andrea's web site (and it's in the book):  banh mi crostini

I'd been looking for ways to use surplus pate, and this struck me as brilliantly simple and delicious. Sorry for the sloppy photo:

DSCF1584.JPG

If you have appropriate leftovers, it is easy and quick to put these together: season some mayo, make some quick pickles (I used cukes and carrots), slice some jalapenos and snip some cilantro. In little time, I had bite-size banh mi flavor, perfect for snacking or offering with drinks.

Of course this isn't just for leftovers, you can make fillings specifically for a banh mi party as Andrea did.

• David Ross and Shelby like this

#94 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'd been looking for ways to use surplus pate, and this struck me as brilliantly simple and delicious. Sorry for the sloppy photo:

attachicon.gifDSCF1584.JPG

If you have appropriate leftovers, it is easy and quick to put these together: season some mayo, make some quick pickles (I used cukes and carrots), slice some jalapenos and snip some cilantro. In little time, I had bite-size banh mi flavor, perfect for snacking or offering with drinks.

Of course this isn't just for leftovers, you can make fillings specifically for a banh mi party as Andrea did.

This looks excellent and certainly overcomes the problem of being unable to find/make banh mi bread!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#95 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

attachicon.gifDSCF1584.JPG

That's a great dish--Banh Mi Crostini.  Wonderful idea for a party.

#96 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I dont really want to Huff and Puff here too much:

but I noticed something while in BOS at the dentist:

I stopped by my favorite Banh Mi establishment in Chinatown.

I got a double order of the 'traditional' Banh Mi, w extra mayo/pate and lots of green chili.

after all, after the Titanium was Screwed In, I thought Id be 'out of Oral Commission' for a Bit

I ate both in a little part in Chinatown  ( Cement , cement tables w some sort of Chinese Game etched on the top )

beautiful day.  shade  nice breeze

I needed that breeze as the small part was ( as usual ) will with Old Gents playing That Game

some sort of circular brown 'checkers' w symbols on them

and enough second hand smoke for a life time

but to get back to what I noticed :

in Chinatown BOS  no one seems to make the Bahn Mi ingredients.  at lease not the pate nor the 

pork terrine , you know the one with the crunchy Pig Ears in them etc

and the bun  

( point of my story , finally ) also was not made by the vendors.

the key seemed to be the heating up so all the crust could rain down on you !

Im no expert baker, but this seems to be the point of at least the BOS Banh Mi buns.

#97 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I dont really want to Huff and Puff here too much:

but I noticed something while in BOS at the dentist:

I stopped by my favorite Banh Mi establishment in Chinatown.

I got a double order of the 'traditional' Banh Mi, w extra mayo/pate and lots of green chili.

after all, after the Titanium was Screwed In, I thought Id be 'out of Oral Commission' for a Bit

I ate both in a little part in Chinatown  ( Cement , cement tables w some sort of Chinese Game etched on the top )

beautiful day.  shade  nice breeze

I needed that breeze as the small part was ( as usual ) will with Old Gents playing That Game

some sort of circular brown 'checkers' w symbols on them

and enough second hand smoke for a life time

but to get back to what I noticed :

in Chinatown BOS  no one seems to make the Bahn Mi ingredients.  at lease not the pate nor the 

pork terrine , you know the one with the crunchy Pig Ears in them etc

and the bun  

( point of my story , finally ) also was not made by the vendors.

the key seemed to be the heating up so all the crust could rain down on you !

Im no expert baker, but this seems to be the point of at least the BOS Banh Mi buns.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, Cookoff