Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Cookbook Modernist

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#61 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I decided to take the hit myself, for the group. the amazon customer # is actually: 1-866-216-1072

they said amazon.ca is a different supplier, bla bla bla. they had no idea on the final USA price. so the best bet would to cancel the full price order and check back.

or CA.Guillet'eirs can bring a large truck South of the Border!

#62 Todd in Chicago

Todd in Chicago
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Also, I believed Nathan posted that they totally "amped" up the guesstimates (ooops...I mean "forecast") for the first run, so unless they are wildly successfull (still a $100 book), I think the first run should last 6 months or so. I base this on absoutley no facts whatsoever other than Nathans posting. ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......
(PS i love MC, just miffed by the errors).

Hi Jason,

MC At Home got a lot of additional attention before the first printing.

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry

#63 Volition

Volition
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Less then 2 weeks, till Amazon Canada send me my copy. Exciting.

#64 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I just got an email from Amazon saying that the pre-order arrival date has moved up to 9-28 or 10-01 from 10-10. I'm very excited to get it!

#65 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just looked at Amazon.com:

IN STOCK!

Posted Image

#66 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Bahhhh HUMBUG!

My pre-order wasn't showing a revised shipping date so I jumped on the Amazon chat help and they said "It's because of your location" ... :sad:

#67 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sweet! Mine is due to arrive from Amazon.com between 10/2-10/6

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#68 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Mine arrives friday :D Hooray for amazon prime, boo for amazon charging the full $140!

#69 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 799 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I've cancelled mine. Will wait for a better price.

#70 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

~$100 from Book-Dep is pretty good.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#71 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Check your orders. I placed my order back in June with Amazon when the book wasn't part of Amazon Prime. I just checked my order after I received notification that it would ship soon and I was being charged $18.98 for one-day shipping! I had to contact Amazon to get them to change it. Excited to be receiving it this Friday!
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#72 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'll get this some day, but not for $140, that's just a bit crazy, considering $460 gets you the full not at home set. That's about $92 per book or 19ct per page vs 30ct here.
Seems odd there's no discount, considering the heavy discount on the full set. Worth waiting a bit. For around $90 I'll jump on it :-)
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#73 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Basing the value of a book on "Cents Per Page" is fundamentally flawed, unless of course you get a kick out of how much paper you can collect ... But to each his own :smile:

I am very much looking forward to the latest addition to the Modernist Cuisine series, cost is not an issue, the structural integrity of my bookshelves is fast becoming an issue :wink:

#74 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'm sure it'll get discounted, the "other" is 27% off, this one will be too. Cost is always an issue, I'd rather buy two books for the price of one ;-)

Considering that I have not opened the "other" books in months and never cooked from them - I can wait. I have enough to read as it is, :-D
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#75 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

I knew something was fishy with Am.USA. wonder how Amz.CA manages the discount. no way full price!

#76 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

you can order this from Amazon.CA from the USA. your order looks like this art check-out:

Am.CA.jpg

thats the USA $$ from the Canadian price of CAN 86

still the 11 USA shipping is a little steep

but 101.51 is a lot less that $ 140 Ill say

:laugh:

so .... its up to you!

#77 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

you can order this from Amazon.CA from the USA. your order looks like this art check-out:

Am.CA.jpg

thats the USA $$ from the Canadian price of CAN 86

still the 11 USA shipping is a little steep

but 101.51 is a lot less that $ 140 Ill say

:laugh:

so .... its up to you!

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I just ordered from Amazon.Ca and my total is like $97 USD including shipping! Sure, I might have too wait an extra week, but that's not an issue. I cancelled my Amazon.com (US) order

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#78 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Wow! how did you get it for 4 bucks less :huh:

thats a bottle of TJ's table wine ( not the two buck yuk the good stuff from Chile)

:blink:

Edited by rotuts, 27 September 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#79 thayes1c

thayes1c
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Sigh. Canceled my US order and am getting it from Canada. Two more weeks of waiting to save forty bucks is worth it. Shame on you, Amazon US! Trying to scam egulleteers.

#80 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Wow! how did you get it for 4 bucks less :huh:

thats a bottle of TJ's table wine ( not the two buck yuk the good stuff from Chile)

:blink:

Ha ha..well we might end up paying the same when it ships. I did not use the Amazon CA currency converter. I took the CAD total of $96.10 and plugged in my phone's app for converting currency and based on today's rate it's about $97 or so.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#81 JBailey

JBailey
  • society donor
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

As an adunct to the book (mine is to arrive Monday, Oct. 1) did you see this new website from Chef Steps?
"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.
That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

#82 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

As an adunct to the book (mine is to arrive Monday, Oct. 1) did you see this new website from Chef Steps?

I did, and I'm quite excited about this. I mean I love my cookbooks (gotta collect em all right!) but it seems like an exciting new way to learn and improve my home cooking.

#83 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Mine was just delivered. Very excited to check it out this weekend. I noticed that Amazon US has changed back to 10-08 realease date.

#84 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just received mine. 2 volumes; cookbook and kitchen manual in a case. Can't wait to be able to check it out further! There is an owner registration in the back of the book but the registration doesn't start until 10-08.
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#85 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Eager to hear any thoughts on the book while my copy travels the world (it is currently enjoying the sun in Hawaii!)

#86 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I just had a look at the Cooks Forum over at the Modernist Cuisine website, and it looks like only 79 recipes have been commented on. Out of the 1500+ in the books, this is not many at all suggesting that most of the recipes in the books are not attempted, even by those keen enough to sign up for the website (which demonstrates a certain level of enthusiasm in itself...)
The recipe with the most comments by far is the caramelised carrot soup- this recipe is simple, carrots are cheap, the only piece of equipment needed is a pressure cooker, and it tastes delicious. The comments on the forum about the soup are overwhelmingly positive.
If there are more recipes in MC@home that are as accessible as that one, and that tick the same simple, cheap & tasty boxes, then the book is sure to be a hit.

I've cooked plenty of recipes from the books. I just think nobody bothers to use the official forums, they're all here on eGullet. Check out the "Cooking with Modernist Cuisine" topic.

#87 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

My copy was waiting for me when I got home today... for the curious and/or obsessive:

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#88 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Haha you just beat me to it, I was about to post some unboxing photos myself. Nice treat to get home to after a long day for sure!

#89 Charcuterer

Charcuterer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday! I'm excited but bummed I won't have it to read and play with over the weekend. Next weekend is to be devoted to MCatH

Edited by Charcuterer, 28 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#90 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

I started a "Cooking with..." topic here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Modernist