Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Cookbook Modernist

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#31 nathanm

nathanm
  • society donor
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am glad that everybody is excited! The content is arguably all new. Most recipes are totally new, the only possible exception one could argue on the margin is that we have new versions of some recipes like mac and cheese and caramelized carrot soup. Literally speaking they are new becaues we changed the recipe - for example, we no longer call for carrageenan in the mac and cheese, and simplified it in some other ways. We simplifed the carrot soup, but more important, we added new soups that use the same technique with other vegetables.

We tried to pick recipes that illustrated important technques, so you can build on them to make all sorts of variations. As somebody commented up thread, our main point with MC was technique - yes there are lots of recipes but the technique and understanding was our top priority.

in MCAH we still like technique but we are more recipe focussed. We also tried to make the recipes focus on less formal food - in MC we have recipes from Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, Heston Blumenthal which are great, but are of the nature of dishes served at those high end places. That isn't really what people at home tend to cook and eat. So MCAH has chicken wings, steaks, roast chicken and other much simpler and less formal fare.

To answer a couple questions above, the page size is the same as MC - the hardcover volume is bascially the same size as MC volumes. The MCAH kitchen manual (with washable waterproof paper) is the same page size as the one for MC. The box for the boxed set now includes a place for the kitchen manual, but it isn't made of acrylic, because that proved to be too expensive.

The frozen steak is very cool dish - you cook a steak directly from its frozen state, without defrosting first. The carnitas recipe is great too, but then again, I have a built in bias - if I don't think a recipe is great, it doesn't go in the book.

Unlike with MC we ordered a lot of them up front, so we are not thinking that there will be shortages. But having shown that I am bad at forecasting before, it's not clear how much credibility that has :smile: .

So far Amazon has had the book at list price, but I suspect that it will drop lower before the book ships (MC certainly did, and almost all books do). The way Amazon ordering works, if you order early you automatically get the benefit of any price drop between the time you ordered and the time the book ships.
Nathan

#32 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Awesomesauce!

Very cool that it's a worthwhile addition for those of us with the full set.

And it only took 2 hours today to get some people onboard with a pre order that weren't up to buy the big boy books.

Edited by ScottyBoy, 27 June 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#33 Charcuterer

Charcuterer
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Pre-ordered! I told my wife that for my birthday I would love a copy of MCaH and she went right in and placed the pre-order. Shame that it comes out almost 2 months after my birthday. Oh, well I have it to look forward to.

Thanks for the reply Nathan it's always good to hear from you.

#34 Broken English

Broken English
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I wonder why Chris Young isn't involved in this project.
James.

#35 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks Nathan I'm excited for your new book! I'm certain it will be another hit.

#36 md8232

md8232
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

I've preordered MCAH and after working my way midpoint thru the Cooking With thread ordered MC last night.
I'd like to know if MC or MCAH include calorie counts?
How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

#37 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

The original MC does not, so I'd doubt if MCAH does.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#38 ACST

ACST
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I just found out about is and I'm absolutely psyched about this. Finally a version I can afford (kinda), can't wait for it.
'What promoters of vegetarianism maybe don't realize is that much of the world already is living a vegetarian lifestyle, and they ain't too fucking happy about it.'

#39 laharre

laharre
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I love the original set. I definitely will be getting this, as it seems they're trying to make more of the recipes applicable to a home kitchen. I at present only have a water bath and pressure cooker as far as modernist equipment goes. I'd like to see them take on baking next, or possibly a book on understanding the processes behind "do it yourself" food preparations (brewing/cheesemaking/other fermented foods/canning).

#40 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I love the original set. I definitely will be getting this, as it seems they're trying to make more of the recipes applicable to a home kitchen. I at present only have a water bath and pressure cooker as far as modernist equipment goes. I'd like to see them take on baking next, or possibly a book on understanding the processes behind "do it yourself" food preparations (brewing/cheesemaking/other fermented foods/canning).

The original MC has sections on canning, modernist cheese making (although not hugely comprehensive) and some fermented foods (and faux-fermented using Fermento).

#41 thayes1c

thayes1c
  • participating member
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Any other preorderers getting antsy waiting for the price to drop? I mean, I'm sure it's worth the sticker price but the release is just a few weeks away and I'd figured to would've dropped by now.

#42 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Check out book depository with current price 105 and free delivery.

http://www.bookdepos...d/9780982761014

#43 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

great Tip

Ill go there!

#44 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

$86.12 at Amazon.ca

#45 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Interesting. AmazonUSA hasnt dropped yet! have to keep a close eye on this!

prize offered to first to spot Amazon USA price drop! (TBD)

#46 Todd in Chicago

Todd in Chicago
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

I placed my pre-order the day it was announced without hesitation; and I'm the proud owner of one of the first 500 copies in the US of the original set... :-).

Hmmmm....yes, I would expect to see a price drop. Based on what was posted about the "Book Depository", I may place my order there instead as $35 could almost buy a whole other "normal" cookbook! (I think I have a cookbook problem).

I am totally not familiar with the Book Depository; is this legit and do they have a history?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

#47 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Oh man, I've wanted to buy the main set so badly, but I can't justify the cost (yet). This is still expensive, but far more do-able. I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!

#48 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

I imagine if those Canadians can discount it so will the amazonians south of the border.

I think Amazon notifies you just before the ship the book so you can cancel if you find it elsewhere cheaper, but not sure.

dont know about the B.D.

of course a Sturdy Soul could take a Big Hit for the Team ( its football day in America ) and call Amazon:

Posted Image

Edited by rotuts, 23 September 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#49 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......
(PS i love MC, just miffed by the errors).

#50 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Would it be better to wait for revision 2, with errata/typo corrections like MC original set? Just sayin'......

I imagine they made bigger runs of this new book so you may be waiting a while! ... and at least they do provide an erratas page, I'm looking your way Ferran Adria :angry:

#51 Quasar

Quasar
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

I am totally not familiar with the Book Depository; is this legit and do they have a history
Todd

Hi Todd,
I use book depository.com or book depository.uk all the time.
I'm in Australia so the free postage that they offer tends to make most books cheaper for me as the cost of postage from amazon makes the books more expensive.

I've had great service from both book depository stores. I've ordered well over 100 books over the last few years and have been very pleased. On one occasion a book did not arrive, I sent and email and within 24 hours they offered to replace the book or refund the money. I was very impressed.

Cheers
Quasar

#52 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

I rate Book Depository too. Free shipping for all. Woo.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#53 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I rate Bookdepository but their shipping times can be erratic (doesn't help that I live in never never land). I'm going with amazon for this purchase and paid extra to have it delivered asap! :raz:

#54 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Really? Generally I receive orders within a week or two. Rarely does it take longer. Amazon, on the other hand, can range--and I'm only talking about their entry-level shipping deal here--from a week to the best part of a month. I figured it'd be the same for New Zealanders, too.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#55 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Amazon UK seems generally to be faster than Amazon US for me - solidarity with the colonies, maybe? UK gets stuff here in maybe a week (sometimes a day or two less); US more like 10 days, so I guess not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I've only used BD once but they were fine. They're based in the Channel Islands, I think.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#56 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Have you seen booko.com.au? AUD prices, I know, but it finds the cheapest source for any title you search for, including postage (if applicable).

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#57 StefanS

StefanS
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

I have already placed an order from amazon.ca, their price with shipping to Singapore is 10 cents cheaper than bookdepository (with googles exchange rate as of today), amazon shipping price is not that bad compared to bookdepository total price for many items.

Any word on if the books are printed and on the way from china?? or if they are delayed? if I remember it took 1 month to ship the last from China so they should be on the way now? Nathan??

#58 LoftyNotions

LoftyNotions
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hi Jason,

MC At Home got a lot of additional attention before the first printing.

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry
Larry Lofthouse

#59 LoftyNotions

LoftyNotions
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hi Jason,

I’m sure a few things slipped through the cracks, but I think you’ll be very happy with the content.

Larry
Larry Lofthouse

#60 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hi Jason,

Larry

Good to know, thanks Larry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Modernist