Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Cookbook Modernist

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#271 Kim D

Kim D
  • participating member
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

I just got email from MC: ebook is now available, 50% off for registered MC@H users until Jan 15th.  

We’ve transformed the award-winning Modernist Cuisine at Home into an immersive, portable eBook for your tablet, smartphone, and laptop. To celebrate, we’re offering registered owners of the print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home the opportunity to purchase a copy of the eBook companion for 50% off the $79.99 list price. That’s nearly $40 in savings!

When you’re ready to purchase the eBook, simply log in to your account at ModernistCuisine.com and click the ‘get promotional code’ button located under the icon for each print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home you registered. (Not registered yet? Here are step-by-step instructions for registering your book.)

We will e-mail you a unique, one-time-use promotional code for your 50% discount on the Modernist Cuisine at Home eBook from Inkling.com. Save that e-mail—once we’ve sent you a code, you won’t be able to retrieve it again. Then visit www.inkling.com/modernistcuisine, add the eBook to your cart, and enter the code at checkout.

I didn't get the email, so thank you for posting this. I just downloaded the ebook and installed the Inkling app. I was surprised that the download process was not intuitive to navigate. Had it not been for the 50% discount, I would have bailed.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

#272 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#273 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

The ebook is great!    Hope they're working on a eMC version too.

#274 Kim D

Kim D
  • participating member
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.

I got errors yesterday because I couldn't remember my password. IIRC, the screen to retrieve my password only had a spot for my email address. Submitting that screen returned an error. I can't remember the message, it came up on a page all by itself. I can't remember what I finally did to fix that. Whatever it was, I finally got a screen to enter my email address and to type in some letters to prove that you're a real person. I believe the error before was because that box didn't show up. And, yes, I was working on an iPad. Then my mini-Mac. Then a Windows laptop. All had the same error.

Good luck. Maybe this was all on purpose so that you'll feel as though you earned that 50% off.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

#275 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

I doubt its on purpose.  but I recall in registering it struck me as a bit of a quirky site.

my browser remembers my password,  thats what saves me.

BTW Ive yet to get an email.  the code appeared on the page at MC, but its only been a few hours.

Edited by rotuts, 14 November 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#276 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

BTW  before any one goes nuts, why not PM

Judy Wilson

she may no longer follow the thread, but she was responsive in the past.

she works or used to work at MC in the Relations Dept.

cant hurt.

#277 jmolinari

jmolinari
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

I got my discount code 1 minutes after scanning the QR code and logging in, and my safari browser giving me an error...

if you've registered and not gotten your code, i would email or contact someone

#278 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I got my discount code 1 minutes after scanning the QR code and logging in, and my safari browser giving me an error...
if you've registered and not gotten your code, i would email or contact someone

Made contact. Contact acknowledged. Response promised. Still waiting..... 24 hours later. Web site seems very error-prone. Surprising for a team that seems on the cutting edge of everything.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#279 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

I agree on the web site.

lets be clear:  this is Microsoft Money.

:blink:

well spent, after the fact, but Microsoft.

what they cut now is Food. and Pots ....

Edited by rotuts, 15 November 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#280 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

Anyone know a source where I can buy just the Kitchen Manual separate?  Mine got quite burned on the top of the stove!

#281 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

I can't find a link to register on the site, is it in the book? I registered my MC set long time ago, but the site looked different then I believe

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#282 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

For those trying to register, look inside the back cover.  AFAIK, scanning that QR code is the only way to do it.  FYI, here's a prior thread on the subject.  Discussion of registering @Home starts at Post #25.

#283 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

I went to log in and was unable to do so. On clicking on the forgotten password link, it said to check my email. An email never came. I contacted them directly using the email from the web site and have to praise them on a really prompt response.

The app is good. For those of you who have seen the CIA professional chef book app, it is done in the same manner.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#284 &roid

&roid
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

If I buy from inkling am I then able to install it on my iPad or do I have to buy it again from the app store?

#285 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

If I buy from inkling am I then able to install it on my iPad or do I have to buy it again from the app store?

Inkling on the iPad allows you to download any title that you own so, no you only have to buy it once from Inkling.

• &roid likes this

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#286 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

Anyone know a source where I can buy just the Kitchen Manual separate?  Mine got quite burned on the top of the stove!

Not sure you can buy it separately.  I bought one last year on ebay for my 2nd location.  Now that the digital version is out I will probably use that more.   I hope the digital version of MC is not too far behind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Modernist