Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Thai ingredients in the GTA

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Although we are blessed with an abundance of Asian stores in and around the GTA, Thai ingredients seem to be elusive. Does anyone know of a source of such things as Thai soy sauces and curry pastes (Massaman seems to have completely disappeared even from places where we have seen it in the past). Thanks.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#2 TylerK

TylerK
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

No actual prepared curry pastes, but I was at St. Lawrence market this weekend looking for Thai ingredients and managed to find some of the harder to find items like shrimp paste, pickled radish (freaky looking things) and lime leaves. I also found Thai chillis, lemon grass, Thai basil, and palm sugar. There was a large selection of soy sauces, but I'm not sure what constitutes a Thai soy sauce. The only thing on my list that I wasn't able to find was galangal.