Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ventreche de cochon

Charcuterie French

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Please excuse my ignorance; I do not cook much with pork.

I have a recipe in French that calls for "ventreche de cochon". I know this translates literally to "belly of pork". However, I am wondering if this is specific to raw, or some sort of cured product. The recipe calls for the ventreche de cochon to be sliced paper thin on a deli slicer, and it is briefly sauteed (3 minutes) into a fricassee of escargot. Does raw pork belly seem right to use in this scenario?

#2 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Ventreche is rolled, cured but not smoked. It's similar to pancetta.

#3 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

Aha. Thank you very much.

#4 carlux

carlux
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you google ventreche de porc, you will see a number of images showing you what it is like. Here in the south-west (of France) it is often barbecued.

#5 Ptipois

Ptipois
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Ventrèche just means "belly" in Southern French, with a nuance of fattiness. Hence pork belly and tuna belly both bear that name in the South.
Ventrèche de porc (or de cochon) can be raw or cured, but the term is not used for smoked pork belly since pork is generally not smoked in the South and Southwest.
A ventrèche de porc to be cut thin on a deli slicer should be very dry. Indeed a very dry cured pancetta would do the job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charcuterie, French