Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Prague – suggestions for places & dishes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iainpb

iainpb
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hello,

I'm off to Prague in July and am looking for recommendations for good places to eat. I want to sample traditional and modern Czech cuisine and sample a good range from street food to traditional pubs to Michelin standard restaurants. One place i have heard consistently good things about is le degustation (http://www.tripadvis...ue_Bohemia.html) so this is on the definitely maybe list, if anyone has any opinions on this place, they'd be very welcome.

Secondly, if there's any must try Czech dishes I should know about, i'd be happy to hear about them. The classic pork knuckle and dumplings are already on my list, I'm happy to try (almost) anything!

Any recommendations gratefully received,

Thanks,

iain

#2 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

U Medvidku and U Vejvodu pop to mind, as does U Pinkasu.

Czech food is heavy as hell, just a warning

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Do have a look at the 'restaurants in Prague' topic in this forum. Although many of the posts are fairly old the place I visited last November can be found at http://forums.egulle...20#entry1851019

Andrew

#4 iainpb

iainpb
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

U Medvidku, U Vejvodu, Kampa Park and Francouzska Restaurace have all made the eating list.

Thanks,

Iain

#5 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Be advised U Vejvodu is more focused on beer, but it was prob my favorite place in the city, I went twice on a 5 day trip. That being said, almost every drinking den has food.

#6 iainpb

iainpb
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

After visiting I can happily recommend Francouzska Restaurace and La Degustation as a welcome relief from the traditional Czech pub fare (which is worth trying, particularly Kolkovna). Francouzka is a nice French restaurant in an opulent dining room with live pianist and mainly french dishes but international also, a decent and not overpriced wine list and friendly (English speaking) staff.

La Degustation is certainly worth a visit, tasteful relaxing dining room, great staff and excellent food. Their Bohemian tasting menu is modern takes on classic Czech cuisine including carp and a clean delicate version of the meat, cream sauce and dumpling using beef tongue and semolina dumplings. The wine flight consisting of mainly Czech wine has was excellent and has opened my eyes to Czech wines. If you have one fine dining meal in Prague, go here!

Edited by iainpb, 03 August 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#7 IrishAdventurer

IrishAdventurer
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

Can anyone provide any updated info on Prague? La Degustation looks interesting, but I'm confused by the menu on their website. Are the costs per course? If so, how come the drink/wine pairings are twice the price of the food?

I've heard a place called Cerny Kun is good, but I don't know how up-to-date that tip is. Aromi, Usudu, and U Medvidku all look decent, and I'm tempted to book a table at Nebozizek on the hill overlooking the city because the food looks good and it seems a nice tourist destination without being a trap.