Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Where Will it All End - Guy Fieri to Open Restaurant in Times Square

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

As the NY Times fabulous Flo reported yesterday, Guy Fieri will be opening a restaurant with a new concept, sometime this fall and somewhere in Times Square.

As he might scream, "that's money." My prediction - there's a lot of money backing this one, and it'll last as long as Jekyll and Hyde and the ESPN Zone.

Will you ever set foot inside? I won't.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

I don't think they're gearing this restaurant for the foodie set... I think it's for the hordes of tourists who love GF and will go anywhere he tells them - especially if it has his name on it! So, it's good that it's in Times Square, which is perfect for their target audience - and will have 0 impact on most NYers who actually care about food...

#3 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

The same people who will eat at The Olive Garden or Outback or Red Lobster while in NYC( Times Square) will eat there. Still, for the life of me, I dont get it.

#4 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Does he even cook? Ostensibly, I mean.

#5 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

It might even be OK. Probably better than Hard Rock et al.

#6 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Pardon me for being a pessimist, but shouldn't it read "Guy Fieri sells his name to a restauranteur looking to make an easy buck of tourists in Times Square"
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#7 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

God help me, I'm beginning to enjoy the bleached blond sod. At a certain time of night, after a few beverages, his show is visual drunk food. I usually end up making a sandwich with bacon in it.

I still won't go in any of his places though.

#8 heidih

heidih
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Oddly I remember watching the Next Food Network Star program he competed in and can not remember a single thing about his food or style. Fame sells food. Some of the places he features on Triple D actually make interesting dishes so I think one must wait and see what this "new concept" is and how it cooks up.

#9 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

...so I think one must wait and see what this "new concept" is and how it cooks up.

Must one, really?
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#10 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

...so I think one must wait and see what this "new concept" is and how it cooks up.

Must one, really?

No.

#11 ScoopKW

ScoopKW
  • participating member
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

I know one of his culinary professors from UNLV. This professor wasn't particularly kind about Mr. Ferry's skills as a cook.

But, let's face it, he's the one making the big bucks shouting catch phases ("I'm taking the express train to flava town!"), while looking like a photo-negative of Mr. T. So in that regard, he's quite successful. Who knows what's he's like when the cameras stop rolling...
Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

#12 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Must one, really?

What, like anyone has choice?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#13 wanderingtaoist

wanderingtaoist
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

You might have read the review already, but just in case: NY Times gives it "Poor" grade. The writing is superb though.

#14 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

Review was so bad I feel sorry for GF.

Another case of the elite at NYT being out of touch with real Americans. :laugh:

#15 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Interestingly enough, here's what I wrote in July, 2008 - when he was on TNFNS...

What was Guy Fieri's "point of view"?

View Post

To be the biggest d-bag possible?

And even if he cooked for the show, he doesn't now, does he? I can watch that diners show for about 1 minute.

Funny thing, the other day there was an early episode of Molto Mario on, and it was so great.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#16 David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb
  • participating member
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm amused that the review is currently the most e-mailed article in the NYT.

#17 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

The review is pretty over the t op as far as snark and venom. Are we seeing a switch to the British-style review?

#18 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I could have done without the gimmicky question format.

But I liked that Wells didn't pull his punches. Fieri clearly deserved what he got - it's not just middle-American food, it's middle-American food done poorly, with bad service.

#19 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

As Woody Allen once said..."and such small portions..."

Which I'm sure is not the case here. Let's face it, Fieri got what he deserved, in my opinion.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#20 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I don't even think it's middle American food. What an awful review. But it's what I would have expected from the few times of watching his hackneyed clumsy cooking.

Planning on hitting NYC soon but I'll eschew Times Square and instead hit some deli's, bistros and cutting edge Asian places.

#21 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Not that social behavior in this country (or any other) is expected to make logical sense, but I love how incessant political trash talking often gets by with just a wink and a nod while the NYT review--which, for all its snark (or creativity, depending on your point of view) was basically a statement of fact--lights up the blogo/Twittosphere and, for just one example of misplaced reaction, gets called a "sucker punch" by an AP writer. What, Wells was supposed to warn Fieri that a skewering was imminent? Granted this place was ultra-low-hanging fruit, so the review might have been just a bit of overkill, but with Fieri being a food celebrity, so to speak, I can understand why the takedown.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#22 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

I wonder, has anyone we know eaten there?

Weinoo, you're in the neighborhood; You should take one for the team and go on a fact-finding visit.

#23 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Weinoo, you're in the neighborhood; You should take one for the team and go on a fact-finding visit.

Heck, to see your review of it, I'll happily stand you a couple of drinks (or a fifth of Jack?) first, to get you suitably primed for the experience!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#24 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

J. Daniels? ewwwww

But probably in keeping with the joint.

#25 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

We have a motion and a second. I call the question even though that's not really proper procedure.

#26 larryroohr

larryroohr
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

In case anyone else might enjoy it, here's a link to a SNL sketch about the review, funny. This was a rehearsal they released, they didn't air it.

http://www.salon.com...that_didnt_air/

#27 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

And also an interview with him on the Today Show.

So are we going to begin a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for weinoo's trip there?

Edited by ScottyBoy, 19 November 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#28 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I have mixed feelings about the NYT review.

On one hand, the disturbing menu descriptions certainly make the restaurant sound like a hillbilly Applebees with a raging meth habit. On the other hand, why would the NYT review what is clearly a tourist trap aimed at patrons who are looking for a hillbilly Applebees with a raging meth habit?

Personally, I find the 2.5 star average for Yelp reviews far more damning. There's a disgusting all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant (think about that for a minute) near my office that managed a three star average on Yelp.

#29 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I trust Pete Wells implicitly...also, I never go north of 14th Street.

Heck, to see your review of it, I'll happily stand you a couple of drinks (or a fifth of Jack?) first, to get you suitably primed for the experience!

I'd prefer to have a few watermelon martinis.

J. Daniels? ewwwww

But probably in keeping with the joint.

I'll bet they have a couple of high-priced bourbons at least.

We have a motion and a second. I call the question even though that's not really proper procedure.

See - that's the problem; I need proper procedure.

And also an interview with him on the Today Show.
So are we going to begin a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for weinoo's trip there?

I'll take the kickstarter for a visit to my cardiologist and gastroenterologist after it's all over. Also, my shrink.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#30 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like a "yes" to me!

Go get em, Weinoo. You ARE the man!