Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Vietnamese Quick Braised Pork Belly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EvillyChic

EvillyChic
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I am Rose, a Vietnamese student from Finland.

Today, I want to share a Vietnamese dish that is so easy to make, yet super tasty, and almost foolproof: my version of (Southern) Vietnamese Quick Braised Pork Belly in Fish Sauce. (Fear not the fishy smell of the Vietnamese traditional fish sauce; it’s perfectly complimented with this dish thanks to the roasted garlic and black pepper)

I don't know how to add picture in this post so if you want an extra detailed instruction with photos in every step. Kindly refer to my blog post here: http://simplyafoodbl...sed-pork-belly/

Ingredients

500g of pork belly with skin still on
2 tbsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. granulated white sugar
1 tbsp. water
2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
½ tsp. grounded black pepper (freshly grounded is best)

Instructions

Step 1: Wash the belly with salty water and dry it with kitchen towel. Slide pork belly into thin rectangular vertically.

Step 2: Get a clean small bowl and mix fish sauce + sugar + water together. It does not need to be completely dissolved.

Step 3: Place the slices of pork belly on a small non-stick frying pan.

Step 4: Put the pan onto the stove, turn the heat on high. Without adding any excess oil. Leave the pan there for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, you can see the steam coming out from your pan, that’s totally normal and not a sign of burning.

Step 5: Now you can starting hearing the fat coming out of the pork belly sizzling on the pan. Let the pan sit on heated stove for 3 more minutes, until the under of the belly slides start to turn golden. Flip all over, like this.

Step 6: Wait for 5 more minutes until the other sides turn golden too. Put all the garlic in; give it another stir until the garlic start to be aromatic.

Step 7: Then pour all the fish sauce mixture into the pan.

Give it a quick and even stir. At first you can see the water in the fish sauce mix boil and evaporate very quickly while the sugar start to caramelize.

Step 8: Wait for 5 more minutes or more with flipping the pork belly from side to side for even browning, until you achieve this: golden brown shiny slices of pork belly slices. The water should almost all evaporated, just a little sauce left, enough to coat the outside of every slices.

Step 9: Sprinkle grounded black pepper on top. You can now enjoy the most wonderful aroma in Vietnamese cuisine: the mixed heaven in your nose of roasted garlic, caramelized sugar, freshly grounded black pepper, and fish sauce.

Try a slice now. Chew. Uhhhmmm. I know! Hey, let’s resist trying another, because if you continue, who knows if there is anything left for real serving, LOL.

Step 10: Serve warm with cooked white rice. And dig in! Challenge your chopstick handling skill!

This is a super easy Vietnamese dish to try if you are new to our cuisine. :) So fear not, and hold up your fish sauce bottle.

Rose,

My new food blog at: http://simplyafoodblog.wordpress.com

#2 Lukaas

Lukaas
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Nice one rose ...
My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

Really Nice Aug 10 2003, 11:22 PM