Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Things lots of people buy and I don't understand

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

#61 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Why spend the money for a full set of knives ?

dcarch

#62 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

. . . .

I like Bisquick. I grew up eating Biquick-related baked goods/meals. I've said this before but my mom's peach cobbler, topped with Bisquick dough, can kick your mom's peach cobbler's ass any day of the week. . . .

From your perspective, it's true! Since I didn't grow up with Bisquick, it wouldn't hold true for me, at all (I just don't care for Bisquick). But with a lot of the food items mentioned in this topic, there's a nostalgia aspect that cannot be explained (or resaoned away) by logic. Case in point is castagnaccio. Made primarily with chestnut flour, when finished, they resemble brownies. For anyone expecting brownies, they are a cruel disappointment (possibly just cruel). To me, they're a contemplative, mildly nostalgic treat.

What I can't understand people buying are time/labour saving foods (e.g. prepared pasta dishes, most prefab. pasta sauces) that don't take a significant amount of time/effort to make in their from-scratch versions. I mean, if someone has that little time, a halfway decent sandwich just seems like a better bet.
Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#63 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Why spend the money for a full set of knives ?

dcarch

I actually agree with this, oddly enough. Then again, I build/am building/have built my knife collection one blade at a time as I come across knives that I like or need.

I'm also a major proponent of 45 cent throwaway paring knives.... :shock:
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#64 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think I figured it out...

YES fresh not canned and FRESH and not processed are best.

BUT

The deal is, that many many many adults were raised with certain products and they LOVE those homey tastes.
Like people are saying about LeSeur Peas in the can, I was also raised to eat an occasional can of Blue Lake
green beans in the can.

Yes Im sure a hand ground burger with artisan sour dough bun, with imported cheddar and juicy beefsteak tomato and baby greens
and onion jam is probably FAN-EffIN-TASTIC,

BUT

A Big Mac is so satisfying for the homey childhood goodness it brings...

As a foodie I think ALL foods have merit in our lives, cause occasionally you just need a big bowl of FROOT LOOPS or a Twinkie, dammit!
  • annabelle likes this
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#65 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I think I figured it out...

YES fresh not canned and FRESH and not processed are best.

BUT

The deal is, that many many many adults were raised with certain products and they LOVE those homey tastes.
Like people are saying about LeSeur Peas in the can, I was also raised to eat an occasional can of Blue Lake
green beans in the can.

Yes Im sure a hand ground burger with artisan sour dough bun, with imported cheddar and juicy beefsteak tomato and baby greens
and onion jam is probably FAN-EffIN-TASTIC,

BUT

A Big Mac is so satisfying for the homey childhood goodness it brings...

As a foodie I think ALL foods have merit in our lives, cause occasionally you just need a big bowl of FROOT LOOPS or a Twinkie, dammit!

And it isn't just what you were raised on that affects what you put into your shopping cart and bring home.

If you people are talking about going to someone's home and being served a mediocre meal and discovering that the weird potato salad was made with canned potatoes, and the lack-luster green beans just came out of a can and the whipped topping on the dessert was scooped out of a tub, well, I'm with you.

But if you're saying that you look at those products in the market and cannot fathom a single reason why anyone would buy them, ever, here's what I guess is probably true about you:

You're not old, with arthritic hands
You're not old and no longer can drive and have to rely on a friend to take you to the grocery store once or twice a month
You're not a college kid or someone else that lives in a room with only a mini-fridge and microwave and no stove or oven
You don't live in a remote area where you have to drive far to get to a market and need to make it count when you do
You don't have unreliable electricity
You care a very great deal about food and never want to just eat something quickly and get right back to your painting or sewing or writing or other vocation or avocation that you do care a very great deal about
You never stock up an RV or boat or cabin
You never take long road trips with a bunch of children
You don't have a lot of impromptu relatives or friends that love to pop in with no notice and expect to be fed
You don't have a bunch of kids that sometimes get on your last nerve and you need to sling something together and get it on the table now
You never go camping

And finally,
You need to get out more. Yes, the pleasures of a fine table reign supreme to most of us here, and most of us have the means and availability to facilitate one.

But not to be able to even understand why anyone would ever buy prepared and processed convenience items, or junk snack foods, or non-perishables like Velveeta and assorted canned vegetables?

You need to get out more.

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes, 17 April 2012 - 08:55 AM.

• annabelle and Shel_B like this

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#66 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

All true, but that still doesn't explain SlimJims

#67 DMS

DMS
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Re the plastic dishwasher packets. I use those. I used Cascade for the longest time, then when they removed the phosphate from it, it suddenly worked awfully. All the dishwashing liquids or powders sold here have to have the phosphate removed. I use the Quantum Powerball tabs because they actually work. I tried many other products before settling on those. I buy them when on sale and have a coupon for it so we stock up in streaks.

#68 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

All true, but that still doesn't explain SlimJims

I've eaten them and enjoyed them. It's been a long time, but... I might still.

So, where was I? Oh... right! What I do not get is the reason people buy fake citrus extracts. Seriously, the ones made from real citrus peel are not expensive, not even if they're certified organic, fair trade, produced and bottled by virgins who have never, ever been exposed to the Star Wars prequels.
Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#69 Susie Q

Susie Q
  • participating member
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Keurig coffee cups. Why....why?

My boyfriend uses these. He fills the water container with fresh water. For each cup of coffee he drops in a cup, puts the coffee cup underneath, presses the button and then does it again for the next cup, and the next.

There is a regular filter coffee machine right next to the K cup machine. They both require the same amount of work, and with the regular filter pot you have a wider variety of coffees to choose from that more likely would be cheaper per cup, also the materials used for a regular filter machine are less wasteful then individual K cups.

I personally like a french press.

I also don't understand smart water, msg, premade PB&J sandwiches, canned spinach, mushrooms, carrots, asparagus, and fruit cocktail.

#70 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I've seen adverts recently for frozen jacket (baked) potatoes. Surely a combo of par-cooked in microwave then finished off in oven for a crispy skin is almost as quick and significantly cheaper?
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#71 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

To the "I'd never buy bottled water" crowd. One of my sons is on the track team at high school. He takes bottled water in liter bottles with him to their meets. Many times the water fountains are broken or dirty and he doesn't like Gatorade. All of the schools here have recycling bins so I'm not understanding the problem. I'd rather he was hydrated when he's running several miles in 80-90 degree heat.

As for coffee? I'm with Jackie Mason on that one. It's coffee. You get a cup at the diner for 50 cents with endless refills or you go to a "coffee bar" and pay $7 for a coffee with no refills? I'll take the diner.

#72 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

To the "I'd never buy bottled water" crowd. One of my sons is on the track team at high school. He takes bottled water in liter bottles with him to their meets. Many times the water fountains are broken or dirty and he doesn't like Gatorade. All of the schools here have recycling bins so I'm not understanding the problem. I'd rather he was hydrated when he's running several miles in 80-90 degree heat.

Why not refill the water bottle from the tap at home or another trusted source?
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#73 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

As to bottled water. We buy one large container each year and it sits in the cellar with its date very visible. Our well runs on electricity and no power...no water. We can drink the last bought one and use the others for whatever is needed. (Yes, we do have a generator.)
  • BetD and annabelle like this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#74 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

What's the difference if the container is ultimately placed in the recycle bin?

As to bottled water. We buy one large container each year and it sits in the cellar with its date very visible. Our well runs on electricity and no power...no water. We can drink the last bought one and use the others for whatever is needed. (Yes, we do have a generator.)

Ditto. Well water here, too. No power=no water. And, yes, we also have a generator but that isn't used unless we have many, many hours without power. And, yes, if I think the power is going to go out, I fill many containers, including the bath tub, with water.
  • BetD and annabelle like this

#75 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

The difference is the number of times you use it before placing it there, which reduces the number of bottles that have to be recycled.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#76 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

The difference is the number of times you use it before placing it there, which reduces the number of bottles that have to be recycled.

Nathan sports bottles are great--easy to clean, with a removable straw & mouthpiece. No weird stuff growing in a hard to clean reusable bottle. http://nathansports....-tritan-bottles

#77 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ditto. Well water here, too. No power=no water. And, yes, we also have a generator but that isn't used unless we have many, many hours without power. And, yes, if I think the power is going to go out, I fill many containers, including the bath tub, with water.

:laugh: Just trying to recall the last time we knew that the power was going to go off. Just one of the extra benefits of living in the middle of nowhere...you don't count either. Now storms are another issue... :raz:
  • annabelle likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#78 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

:laugh: Just trying to recall the last time we knew that the power was going to go off. Just one of the extra benefits of living in the middle of nowhere...you don't count either. Now storms are another issue... :raz:

:laugh:

That's what I was meaning...storms, high winds--which in Kansas means anything over 70 mph....oh and the always entertaining ice storms.
  • annabelle likes this

#79 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

By reusing the containers, you ultimately use less of them, thereby reducing recycling and waste.

Edited by Shel_B, 18 April 2012 - 10:14 AM.

.... Shel

#80 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

By reusing the containers, you ultimately use less of them, thereby reducing recycling and waste.

Well, if your sports water bottles looked anything like mine, you wouldn't want to use it again. :laugh:
  • annabelle likes this

#81 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Single serve coffee makers.

Cons...Makes an expensive cup of coffee. Lots of waste in used containers. Have to wait for each cup to brew.

Pros...you can get some disgusting sweet hazelnut maple-raspberry flavors that don't taste anything like coffee.

#82 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I always salt, but am on again off again about fat. I like basmati for pilaf, but by itself? It's a snore.

I'm almost always making it to go with something saucy - usually Indian or a stir-fry. If I am doing it as a side for roast chicken or something, that is when I add a bit of butter, S&P

#83 vogelap

vogelap
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Frozen, pre-browned ground beef. My wife bought it once. Once.
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

#84 BadRabbit

BadRabbit
  • participating member
  • 690 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Frozen, pre-browned ground beef. My wife bought it once. Once.

I wasn't aware that was even a thing one could buy.

#85 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, if your sports water bottles looked anything like mine, you wouldn't want to use it again. :laugh:

:laugh: Sounds like my sports bottle. I actually grew out some agar plates with swabs from refilled water bottles a few years ago. Forget it.

I also fill lots of big jugs with water like Shelby and Darienne since we have lost our power for up to 12 days before. No power, no pump. I buy gallons of distilled water for myself and to use in the steam iron all year round.

#86 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Canned mushrooms.

When I lived in Ontario, I used to buy a PC organic brand of canned mushrooms that were made in the USA. I really liked them on my homemade pizza. Then, my store stopped carrying them, and the only canned mushrooms they had were made in China. I wouldnt buy them in that case.

#87 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

canned Vienna Sausage. I gave that to my dogs as a treat. I cant believe people eat that crap. Also, canned chicken breast. I've never bought it and it seems so odd to put chicken breast in a can.

#88 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Water: I filter my own at home.
Bisquick: I can make better tasting food from better ingredients more cheaply.
Salad Dressings: Again, I can make better and cheaper dressings from scratch.
Powdered Sauce Packets: Really? You need a reason? None of these sauces is that hard to make for real.
Many Canned Vegetables: Fresh or frozen vegetables generally taste better. (I do like canned tomatoes.)
Canned Soup: Once again, scratch tastes better and is cheaper.
Dinner Assembly Kits: I can pull all of the dry parts out of my pantry more cheaply, and a fresh sauce is better.
Supermarket Baked Goods: They're frightfully bad.
Baking Mixes: Saving a tiny amount of time isn't worth sacrificing flavor.
Spice Blends: I can mix my own, thank you.
Frozen Toast
Frozen PB&J
Frozen Garlic Bread
Frozen Waffles & Pancakes
Cocktail Mixers

Agree on every item listed except bloody Mary mix. For some reason we buy this

#89 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Canned Soup: Once again, scratch tastes better and is cheaper.

You probably never put lot of time and trouble into making soup from scratch only to have your Mother say "This is almost as good as what comes out of a can".
"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

#90 abadoozy

abadoozy
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

You probably never put lot of time and trouble into making soup from scratch only to have your Mother say "This is almost as good as what comes out of a can".

I once had my mother-in-law call me to ask how to make a beef stew that tasted like Dinty Moore. Seems she could never quite get hers to the exact right flavor of salt & artificial meat flavor, and she wanted the dry, chewy texture of the meat that came out of a can over the unctuous texture of real beef chuck.

I told her to just go buy Dinty Moore.