Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: munchymom (2012) - The Week I Ate Whatever I Wanted

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#61 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Kim:
I always thought the pictures on the plates were supposed to represent Native American petroglyphs, but I really haven't a clue.

Re: Yquem: I've only had it once before, about twelve years ago (that time it was a 1990), and it was amazing, but you can get really stunning Sauternes for a fraction of the price. I've had very high-scoring ones from $30 - $50 for a (375 ml) bottle. It's worth a look if you like dessert wine.
"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."
-Harriet M. Welsch

Visit my food blog! http://goodformeblog.blogspot.com/

#62 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I remember my parents going to Buffalo and buying a couple of bottles of Chateau d'Yquem when I was a child. I seem the think the price was rather outrageous at around $25. I've forgotten what the occasions were for their opening - but I recall there was a wheel of old cheddar from a favourite cheese factory on the Bay of Quinte at one of those openings.

It was one of the best things I'd tasted - the old cheese was the perfect foil for the sweetness of the wine - and I know I wanted to be sure I was around for the opening of the second bottle!

#63 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I LOVE Bubbies kraut... used to be able to get it at my Publix, but they don't carry it anymore. :sad:

#64 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

An aptly named late-night snack:

DSCN0141.jpg

See you in the morning.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#65 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Kim:
I always thought the pictures on the plates were supposed to represent Native American petroglyphs, but I really haven't a clue.

Re: Yquem: I've only had it once before, about twelve years ago (that time it was a 1990), and it was amazing, but you can get really stunning Sauternes for a fraction of the price. I've had very high-scoring ones from $30 - $50 for a (375 ml) bottle. It's worth a look if you like dessert wine.

You are probably right - I'm an Egyptophile (and I make up my own words!), so I just assumed hieroglyphics.

I will search out a reasonably priced Sauternes - I've had other people suggest that to me.

#66 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Kim:

I was thinking Minoan because of the bull but the falcon looks Egyptian so I'm guessing Egyptian or that someone just thought they looked nice (and they do).

The veggie chips look great, too!
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#67 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I slept late and skipped breakfast.

For lunch, I was in the mood for Mexican food, so I went to... a shopping mall?
Was I perhaps in search of Taco Bell?

Nope.

DSCN0145.jpg

Plaza Fiesta is a mall just over the NC/SC border which caters to the large and growing Latino population in the area.

I had lunch here:

DSCN0144.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

Two tacos (the front one is carnitas, the back al pastor), rice and beans. The tacos were both delicious, well flavored meat and slightly toasted soft corn tortillas. Those beans were not the flavorless pile of goo that one often finds at Mexican restaurants, but had a rich smoky flavor. There's some pork fat in there for sure.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#68 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

On the way home from lunch I stopped at a farm stand for these:

DSCN0147.jpg

The strawberries, not the cat of course. The cat is my constant companion Purrl, who is inexplicably attracted to any vegetable matter I bring in the house. I put those berries in the fridge right away before she could get a bite.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#69 sheepish

sheepish
  • participating member
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

That toasted sandwich. Can you help for those of us unfamiliar with American brands. I can spot sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese (is that sort of generic Emmental style?). But what's in the front packet? And the bottle?

Ta

#70 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

corned beef or pastrami, and thousand island salad dressing.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#71 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

That toasted sandwich. Can you help for those of us unfamiliar with American brands. I can spot sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese (is that sort of generic Emmental style?). But what's in the front packet? And the bottle?

Ta

I'm not Munchy Mom, but the bottle is Thousand Island dressing, and the front packet is a good brand of corned beef, from the deli counter (I THINK it says Boar's Head...)The completed ensemble (sp?) is called a Ruben sandwich, which must be grilled, NOT served just on toasted rye, to my taste! (YMMV) :laugh:
And, by the way, my sainted grandmother had a marmalade cat who would kill for asparagus 'butts'. (That's the stringy part that should snap off IF you flex the stem; Nana never did, so Ike could have his treat...)
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#72 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes, thanks to those who stepped in to answer, that sandwich is a Reuben. Corned beef, Thousand Island dressing (a sweet sauce that is basically ketchup and mayonnaise with a little sweet pickle mixed in), Sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese (this is actually not imported, but a domestically produced mild cheese that is sort of reminiscent of Emmenthal), grilled on rye bread.

Re: the cat: yes, she is a tortoiseshell. I don't know if she'd eat fruit, but she's always very taken with it. I have a strict policy of never letting her have human food, because my parents had a cat and dog when I was growing up who were given snacks from the table, and both pets were disgustingly impossible to live with. I will not have a pet who begs for my food.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#73 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

As the old saying goes, life is uncertain, so today we'll start dessert first.

DSCN0150.jpg

To everything...
(churn, churn, churn)

DSCN0151.jpg

There is a season...
(churn, churn, churn)

DSCN0154.jpg

And a time for every ice cream that tastes like heaven.

DSCN0158.jpg
-Harriet M. Welsch

#74 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Dinnertime:

DSCN0159.jpg

This right here's the real deal, y'all:

DSCN0161.jpg

Ribs, pulled pork, hush puppies, french fries, and there are baked beans hiding behind the ribs. The white tub is cole slaw, the red ones are spicy vinegar sauce.

The traditional drink with barbecue is sweet iced tea, however since I got my meal to go, I can break with tradition:

DSCN0164.jpg

Dry apple cider is a great companion to smoked pork.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#75 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I should say that those ribs are not traditional NC or SC barbecue, as far as I know, but they are seriously one of the best things ever. They smoke the ribs until they're done, and then when you order them they put them on the grill and baste them with a sweet sauce, so they get all caramelized. The inside is tender and smoky, and the outside is sweet and a little burnt and chewy, like pork candy.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#76 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Pork candy works for me! Love the glass and the hard cider idea. The strawberry ice cream sounds like a blissful follow up.

#77 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Barbecue and homemade ice cream... now you're talkin'!
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#78 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

An aptly named late-night snack:

DSCN0141.jpg

See you in the morning.

Best. Ice Cream. Ever.

OOPS, I mean besides your homemade that I just saw :)

Edited by Shelby, 11 April 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#79 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Dessert:

DSCN0166.jpg

Homemade strawberry ice cream with Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Thins and Petite Cocoa Batons.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#80 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Breakfast time!

DSCN0172.jpg

A freshly baked (frozen, Trader Joe's) chocolate croissant, strawberries, and a mimosa.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#81 nikkib

nikkib
  • participating member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

I'm loving how decadent your week is - great to see a hardworking wife and mom
Enjoying herself whilst left unshackled! When my dad used to go away on business I had to literally drag my mum out for a cocktail or cook something she would never normally do as dad/brother/sister wouldn't enjoy it. Great week!
"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

#82 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Leftover 'cue and cole slaw for lunch:

DSCN0174.jpg

The meal so nice I ate it twice.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#83 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Kim:

You are probably right - I'm an Egyptophile (and I make up my own words!), so I just assumed hieroglyphics.

I will search out a reasonably priced Sauternes - I've had other people suggest that to me.

The designs on the plate are definitely from Egyptian hieroglyphic sources. I used to do a lot of artwork with Egyptian designs, have a collection of books on Egyptology and Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar (1927), which has detailed explanations of the pictographs.

The parallel wavy lines indicate running water, usually the Nile a single wavy line the sea. The hare is the goddess Unnut or Wenet, "swift" (fertility goddess). The hawk is of course Horus,(rebirth) the filled in X (on its side) with a wavy line under it and an orb in the "v" indicate the setting sun between two mountains. The bull is the god Apis, (strength and fertility). That's just off the top of my head. I may be a bit fuzzy on some of this.
The combination of the wavy lines and the hare may indicate swift water but I'd have to look it up in Gardiner to be sure.

It's fun to speculate on the message there might be on the plate.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#84 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Dinner was at another one of my neighborhood favorites, City Tavern. It's a small local chain that serves very reliable food. They have one of my favorite sandwiches in town:

DSCN0175.jpg

Steak in the Grass. Shaved prime rib, onions, spinach and provolone. With some good fries on the side.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#85 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

Andie, that's so cool that you know what the symbols mean! I wonder if the person who designed the plate knew, or if they just picked some at random. Maybe the message is "Help, I'm being held captive in a Mikasa factory!"
-Harriet M. Welsch

#86 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

"Steak in the Grass" - cleverly cute and a flavor combo I enjoy.

So are you a snacker, or do you prefer 3 solid meals?

Also- I know you have been indulging in the treat type of breakfast "drinks", but are you usually a coffee or tea person (or even a Diet Coke in the morning) person?

#87 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

They all seem to have something to do with life, enjoyment, fertility and the half-round symbol with Horus is the symbol for bread.
Looks like a loaf of bread as it was made in ancient Egypt - they did have communal bakeries in the pyramid worker's villages.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#88 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

I don't drink any caffeine - I do like the taste of coffee so I sometimes have decaf. My usual morning (and throughout the day) drink is plain seltzer - something about the bite of the carbonation wakes me up and settles my stomach.

I vary between being a snacker and a 3 meals per day person - if the meals are substantial enough I don't feel like snacking. I do like to munch on something salty with alcoholic drinks in the evening. Either rice crackers or nuts, depending on how crazy I'm going with the calories.

Oh yes, another thing I usually do that I took a welcome respite from this week - count calories. I am a person of somewhat substantial size, and so usually I'm trying to "watch" what I eat, even on vacation. I decided to take a break from all that this week, but after tomorrow, it's going to be back to the grind. I really do enjoy food that isn't quite as hyper-indulgent as I've been eating this week, so it's not terrible deprivation or anything. But just taking the freedom to not think about it... I've enjoyed it so much.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#89 sheepish

sheepish
  • participating member
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Way behind again here.

Hush puppies? Those are shoe where I come from. Wasn't sure where they were in the pic, let alone what they were?

And hard cider? What does hard mean in that context?

Ta

#90 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Way behind again here.

Hush puppies? Those are shoe where I come from. Wasn't sure where they were in the pic, let alone what they were?

And hard cider? What does hard mean in that context?

Ta

Hushpuppies are the three tasty-looking items in the upper part of the polystyrene tray:

. . . .

DSCN0161.jpg

. . . .

I've never eaten them but have heard they're extremely tasty (maize is involved); they certainly deserve a proper explanation from someone who know them well!

In the US 'cider' is generally a non-alcoholic beverage, essentially cloudy apple juice; 'hard cider' is alcoholic (but not very).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog