Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dried Stockfish

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I've been wanting to make wonton broth like the ones back in Hong Kong. I found some dried stockfish (Dà dì yú - 大地魚), which is what is used in stock if I remember correctly. However, in one of the sealed bag, there was a black, fuzzy caterpillar like bug crawling inside. That freaked me out a little and I just didn't want to get any from that brand, which was the only one available.

So, I am thinking maybe I can make my own dried fish. I believe it is flounder I need to start with. I was thinking of just getting one fresh, clean it and then stick it in the dehydrator. Anyone tried that before?

Also, in the bag that I didn't purchase, were quite a few star anise. Not sure what they were doing there. Perhaps store together to give the fish flavor. Anyone know?

#2 hzrt8w

hzrt8w
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Also, in the bag that I didn't purchase, were quite a few star anise. Not sure what they were doing there. Perhaps store together to give the fish flavor. Anyone know?

Maybe trying to keep out the small bugs. If so, apparently didn't work. :smile:
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

#3 Carolyn Phillips

Carolyn Phillips
  • society donor
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

Ha!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how your experiment turns out, annachan. Are you salting it first, or using any sort of marinade?
@MadameHuang & madamehuang.com & ZesterDaily.com

#4 goodkidwe

goodkidwe
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

You may need a lot salt to keep it fresh and have to dry it completely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese