Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bread from the bacteria in idli

Bread Indian

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cteavin

cteavin
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since it revolves around the bacteria used to make idli I thought I'd ask:

Are there any breads which use the bacteria that rise idli? Are there varieties of idli which use flours or other grains instead of rice?

Thanks,

#2 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

This isn't really an answer, but the folks at The Fresh Loaf www.thefreshloaf.com can probably answer that question. I vaguely recall reading something about the micro organisms feeding on rice in idli batter, but I can't remember where I saw it.

#3 cteavin

cteavin
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thanks. I did a search there (best site on the Net for bread), didn't see anything and thought I'd try my luck here.

I did search through Google but thought if there was a name in one of the many languages in India for this kind of bread, someone here might know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, Indian