Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

AAA v. Michelin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Not sure this is the correct topic but here goes. What is the difference between AAA diamonds and Michelin stars. As a European I understand (as much as anyone can understand) the star system but having recently returned from the States where I ate at a 4 diamond restaurant which had an amazing view, formal service, high prices but very average food I wondered what the criteria was. It would not have got 1 Star so I wondered how it merited 4 diamonds.

Andrew

#2 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

There is an older discussion here.

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Unfortunately most of the discussion is around Michelin what I'm really interested in is how the AAA diamond system works and whether you can compare a AAA 4 diamond with a 2 Star.

Any views out there?

Andrew
  • David Hensley likes this

#4 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

In US there are about 40 5 diamond restaurants and about 12 Three Star Michelin Places. There is some overlap. The tire company seems to only look in a few big US cities, whereas AAA seems to consider the whole country's restaurants.

My own experience at 5 diamond places is varied. Some are top notch... some are a mystery hoe they got the top rating.

• David Hensley likes this

#5 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thank you, gfweb.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#6 Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

I hate the AAA ratings.  Even granting the inherently subjective nature of rating restaurants, the AAA diamond ratings seem almost completely random to me.  I've given up trying to correlate between AAA and Michelin.  Even though Michelin ratings are themselves fairly subjective, you can usually count on any Michelin rated restuarant to meet certain standards.

For most US destinations you will generally find better dining recommendations from eGullet forums than the AAA ratings. 

#7 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

I pay absolutely no attention to AAA ratings for restaurants. So far as I can tell, they are meaningless, and given by people whose food tastes veer toward ice sculptures and large platters of defrosted shrimp. Perhaps there are some exceptions. I haven't found any.
  • scubadoo97 and gfweb like this

#8 Lupinus

Lupinus
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

AAA raitings are worthless.

You've got better odds checking a resturant out on yelp or trip advisor and looking through the reviews to get a general feel for the place (weed out the people that will whine or praise anything.)

#9 PSmith

PSmith
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

AAA raitings are worthless.

You've got better odds checking a resturant out on yelp or trip advisor and looking through the reviews to get a general feel for the place (weed out the people that will whine or praise anything.)

Personally I also tend to ignore the Michelin accredations as well.  I prefer to go for value for money and use Trip Advisor or recommendations from friends when I am eating out in unfamilar areas. 

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker