Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Heat gun coffee roasting

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Fastest roast ever, today, under 20 minutes to get all the way through first crack with a half pound of beans. I was working in full sunlight, and it's fairly hot and humid out. It's amazing the impact weather can have on this technique!

I'm still not completely sure just how dark I'm actually roasting the coffee; some of the distinctions seem to be pretty fine (and some of the batches are a little uneven), but I've been greatly enjoying my recent roasts. They're greatly improved over my first attempts!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#32 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Recently I've been using the technique Kevin Liu suggested above, preheating the beans in a 350°F oven for fifteen minutes before going at them with a heat gun: I've had very good success with this method, especially when I wanted full city or full city+ roasts. I still like to use the heat gun (and use it outside!) for the final roasting stage, so that it blows all the chaff away.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#33 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

good for you!

then there is this:

http://www.coffeeshr...b/content/quest

Unfortunately I dont have one!

#34 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Just tried out my first home-roasted espresso blend. It was quite good, with nice flavour but maybe less body than I would like. (Though that could be as much due to my shot-pulling technique as the roast.) It was a blend of 70% Brazilian, 15% dry-processed Ethiopian and 15% robusta, roasted to FC+. Reminded me a lot of some of the Lavazza coffees I've had, but fresher.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#35 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

at sweet maria's there is a blending page, and the espresso section has help me out a lot:

http://www.sweetmari...om/blending.php