Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

San Antonio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 avaserfi

avaserfi
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I just found out that I'll probably be in San Antonio in late April with some family. I don't know too much about the area, being much more familiar with Austin and Houston. The last discussion looks a few years old.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants and bars? I don't care about the view and am not too picky on service. I'm interested in good food, especially if it isn't something I can find in Austin or Houston.

Thanks.
Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

#2 Zachary

Zachary
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Andrew,

The Monterey and The Esquire.

Thanks,

Zachary

#3 Melissa

Melissa
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I second the recommendation for The Monterey. I was there a week ago and had several excellent off menu specials.

Il Sogna is also very good.

However, if you can't find good food in Austin you may not be happy with anything in San Antonio.

#4 avaserfi

avaserfi
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look into them.

As for Austin, I think there is some great food there. That said, I think the Houston food scene is quickly becoming much more interesting, but this is a topic for another thread.
Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory